The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotchya...but seriously we are combining 50ft, but the header isn't 50ft. wide. We have a 9300 Macdon that we double swath with to get 50 feet. The Barley in these pics is running around 80b/a which isn't to bad for us. We can still combine at 2.8 to 3.0 miles per hour which I think is pretty impressive.

My brother is running the cart and it is his second day ever, so I think he is doing very well considering he has never run a tractor before.

Little close but still pretty good. :)

The 9760sts.

My Bro and the Cart.

9760 again...

Side view of the massive 750 bushel cart. ;)

Pic of the 50ft. swaths before combining.

Does anybody else do this??? Hope you like the pics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great looking pics! Some guys around here put down two 25-foot or 30-foot swaths side by side like yours for the Lexions. We used to make a 42' swath (2 21-footers) back in the 80's when we ran 860 Masseys, but since we started sowing canola we just swath to ordinary 30 feet windrows with the pull-behind MacDons. Many 21 and 25 foot swathers still here too, and a few 36' ones. 30' is a nice middle of the road size for our combines (JD CTS and a Claas Mega) and it works for all the crops. This year we might go to a self-propelled 30-footer to cope with the extra acres and the new combine (and lay down two swaths together).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Really like the pictures. I have never seen the double swath before. How hard is it to swath in this fashion? Is it hard to run the swather in this manner for two windrows?
We started out in the wheat fields when I was nine years old and my brother was seven years old. We ran a 50 and 51 Ford truck. My dad and neighbors were combing. My brother and I would take turns driving the truck and unload on the run under the combines. The other brother would give directions as far as to move out or in or ahead or back. Lots of fun, never had a worry in the world. There is no way I would put a kid that young in any equipment. That was how it was done back then.
Take care
Tr

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments...it's really no to tough. We put a auto-steer kit in our swather making it possible to go back and fourth because ever third pass you have to skip 25ft. I've seen people do it going around the feild but this is easier and looks better too.;) Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
Quote:
Quote:Well, really, the combine's auger is what looks ridiculously big.

Yes, it would be hard to run that cart.

Not if big brother would put autotrack on the tractor!!!

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, it would be hard to run that cart.

Not if big brother would put autotrack on the tractor!!!

That would work great, he would only have to drive it the same speed as the combine then.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Beautiful pictures!I got to run pick up headers on harvest on 9600s.most of the time we were in 30 foot swaths,but one time I remember picking up twin 42 foot swaths.We sure weren't moving fast,but you could sure cover the acres!
Let me tell you running a cart with 30 foot headers is a piece of cake compared to 16 foot pick up headers.It felt like you were a mile away from the combine,but after a while you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for comments. Sorry I haven't been on here in awhile, been busy combining field peas.

thabca-we use the Ag Leader easy steer kit with the T2 update. It works exceptionally well. And yes we do use auto-steer on the combine as well. Last year we ran an 8300T that had auto-track on it witch made running the cart a breeze. But it was really hard on the tracks so we decided to use the 8100 instead (which is not auto-track equipped).

jd - the 615p is an awesome pickup header if you have lighter crop and need to go faster. Last year we had the same head and were picking 25ft, 1800lb. canola at 7.2mph. So if you need to go fast it works great.

Thanks for the comments and I’ll try to get some more photos in a little while.

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
Thanks schmidfarms. I asked as I have parallel tracked with the swather then tried to follow it with auto track on the combine but you just cannot drive consistently straight enough manually with the swather.
How are your peas this year? What kind do you grow? I gather you straight cut those?
Thanks again schmidfarms.

Green lights.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:Thanks schmidfarms. I asked as I have parallel tracked with the swather then tried to follow it with auto track on the combine but you just cannot drive consistently straight enough manually with the swather.
How are your peas this year? What kind do you grow? I gather you straight cut those?
Thanks again schmidfarms.

Green lights.

Thanks again for the comment, the peas this year should have been exceptional but we had a mix-up with some chemicals and hurt them pretty bad. They're only yeilding about 30-35 which is really disapointing. We grew Admiral's this year with a small feild of Carnival's. In the few spots that the peas didn't get sprayed they ran 50 and saw as high as 72. Thats what I wished we saw throughout the whole feild. And yes we do cut them straight to, we harvest everthing with auto-trac, even the corn.

Do you guys raise peas, if so what kind; and how do they look this year.

I took some pictures, so I will post them on here tommorrow.

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
Yes we do grow peas almost 1/3 of the crop this year. Seeded very late just podding now. Very wet start,very dry now. Green peas,Cooper, yellow peas Canstar,Golden,Circus. Canstar grown for seed.

Look forward to your pics.
Thanks schmidfarms
Green lights.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:Yes we do grow peas almost 1/3 of the crop this year. Seeded very late just podding now. Very wet start,very dry now. Green peas,Cooper, yellow peas Canstar,Golden,Circus. Canstar grown for seed.
Green lights.

Sounds like you grow quite a few acres...we only had about 250 this year. Here are some pics.

Like I said...pretty dissapointing.

Pretty dusty.

Do you think auto-trac pays?

I think so.

A little hill-side action.

Inside the cab.

2600 monitor(spelled admiral wrong)

Thanks for looking...hope they come out ok.

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
schmidfarms
Wish I had the knack for photos. Good job.
Your comment about auto-trac rings with me. If I lost auto steering I'd quit farming.

Just watching that bridge collapse in Minneapolis on CNN. Looks bad.

Green lights.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts