The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, plans.
Companies are always working on something, you'll see 50 someday I imagine.
Fair call. I guess I should have said is there anything imminent?

Midwest in QLD do up to 60ft
Yes, Sneeky, am aware of Midwest. There have been issues here in the West with parts availability. Happy with our 40ft D60s, just want 50ft to fit in with our tramline system.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The 40' headers of every make are already sinking in resale value bad, why bigger. Only a very small percentage will run the bigger heads. Just like that pos big combine that Deere has running around. Somebody will buy a few, but who's buying the second time. I would never want a used one on my lot ever. Can you say yard art?

·
Registered
609 Posts
The 40' headers of every make are already sinking in resale value bad, why bigger. Only a very small percentage will run the bigger heads. Just like that pos big combine that Deere has running around. Somebody will buy a few, but who's buying the second time. I would never want a used one on my lot ever. Can you say yard art?
Where are you at wheaty? Around here you hardly see a header under 35foot anymore.

·
Registered
198 Posts

You must live in a small bubble. 40 is pretty normal in this part of the world

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is your various equipment widths then?
Is this for Controlled Traffic Farming (CTF) or just tramline?
Don, we are actually on 15.3m CTF, or trying to be at least . We currently have 15.3m seeder, 30.6m Nitro sprayer, and we spread at either 7.65m, 15.3m or 30.6m. The 7.65m is for lime spreading. We cant throw it much further than 10m, so at 7.65m we get excellent coverage and we are on the tramlines every second pass. The seeding tractor, FWA, airseeder tank, grain cart and spreader are all on 3m wheel centres. The Nitro, with 520 tyres has part of its tyre on the outside of the tramlines, but that is a real world compromise we have to make. We cannot afford to be CTF purists. Similarly, the combines once equipped with 50ft fronts are running duals, and only the inside tyres will run on the CTF tramlines. Once again, a real world compromise.

Macdon has been running a 50ft prototype as well
Kyle, I'm very interested to know any more about this? DO you happen to know if it is the flex draper or rigid variant? Only rigid required for us. Unless the flex is able to operate with the cutterbar 10-15cm off the ground?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know Australia is not a big part of the market, Western Australia more so, but here 45ft would certainly be the most common size from the manufacturers that offer it here. Perhaps it would be 40ft from Deere as that is the largest they currently offer and few people seem to put aftermarket heads on Deeres for some reason

·
Registered
23 Posts
I currently run 3x 36' headers. 2 things are making the decision to go wider difficult.
1. it is still fairly easy to get around on road travel with a 36', there are 3 places where a 40' header would not physically go through. This past harvest we never put our headers in transport and that is a decent time saver.
2. Most importantly: how do you spread the straw properly past 36' let alone 45-50'? Nutrient cycle is so important. Also how do you go through such a mat of straw with the next operation without plugging?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I currently run 3x 36' headers. 2 things are making the decision to go wider difficult.
1. it is still fairly easy to get around on road travel with a 36', there are 3 places where a 40' header would not physically go through. This past harvest we never put our headers in transport and that is a decent time saver.
2. Most importantly: how do you spread the straw properly past 36' let alone 45-50'? Nutrient cycle is so important. Also how do you go through such a mat of straw with the next operation without plugging?
I like the concept here of road travel, I didn't take my 40ft off all harvest, there are a couple of places where we couldn't be any wider. Besides being a time saver there is an it's late and I could give a stuff so I'm not shifting factor. As it is now I shift paddocks with the platform on and get an extra couple of hours in here and there.

Straw is an important issue which would be relatively easy if we didn't have any wind. I know of a big cocky that has three CRs two are 9080s and one 9060 with 30ft platforms for CTF . For him straw spread is critical for moisture management as much as anything.

Westaus watch this space for an answer to your lime spreading question. I want to build a conveyor for my multispreader that takes the lime out to seperate spreading vanes six meters apart so I can spread on 12m centers. I bought an Amazone spreader that so far has been a disappointment . It struggles at 9m let alone 12. I drive at six at the moment. I think I will modify our old bt8 Marshall for the job.

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Good question ..... as it is a constant issue .... no matter what colour of machine ..... & no matter what chopper/spreader on the back.
Achieving a constant 40' spread in our (OZ) harvest conditions is impossible as it is usually hot (or f...ng hot) with very low humidity & very brittle straw. I have tried many different configurations on different machines & they all work as desired & required but never, ever, consistently over different weather conditions & very rarely in our "normal" harvest weather conditions.
You simply cannot throw dust 20' in all weather conditions & especially when its (OZ) hot & dry.
You can't throw lime 20' either way - so it would be stretching the friendship to expect chaff/dust to be thrown 20' either side of a harvester.

Plugging seeding gear is another whole topic & harvest management of residue is one part of the story.
Inta-row seeding is another part of the remedy ..... but you already know that.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.