The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally bought a 30' 5100 draper header. Will cut wheat with it on my Challenger 660 combine. Really looking forward to using it.

Will need to order books. In the mean time, I'm curious about the sickle drive, among other things. What company makes the hydraulic sickle drive? Are there other headers that use that drive? Baffled if there is any adjustment to get sickle in time, or if it is made to always be in time with no adjustment. Would like to know way to identify sickle and drive for looking into parts from Shoup or others than Agco. Spare sickle, head, guards.

Hydraulic hook-up was single point, but the single point plate was removed from header. My combine doesn't have single point, so I hope that hoses from straight header can be removed and put on draper header for hydraulics to reel. Reel is U2, see some teeth cut off in center of reel. Do some folks put some kind of cylinder ram spacer on reel lift cylinders to prevent from running reel too low and cutting fingers?

Cutting bar extends beyond support bar on my header trailer. Made it home 500 miles that way, seems fine, but figure it can't hurt to bring it up and hear if it seems wrong to someone. Center section is resting on trailer bar, and since center section supports weight when on combine, seems okay to me. Not ideal, but okay.

Any pointers and suggestions would be appreciated. Never maintained a draper header.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sickle drive is SCH or schumacher, very smooth imo. Most likely your header has the standard sickle and parts can be found through AGCO. As far as the reel ours has the Hart carter reel but if teeth are cut you need the adjust the reel position. Not sure when it comes to the transport, we have the integrated one, but the bulk of the weight is carried in the center but not on the adapter.

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts
We have a 36' of the same header. There are integrated stops for the reel to keep it from dropping too far. I bet you have a single reel? We have a split reel so you have an extra support in the middle to help it from sagging.

As mentioned before the knife drive is an SCH... keep it greased and change the bearings on the bottom every 5000 acres or so and you won't have any issues with it.

The hoses won't be a problem... the small one is reel height, the two middle sized ones are for/aft, and the big ones are reel drive.

If you have trouble with it plugging under the side drapers in the middle, narrow up the gap on those deflectors, and adjust the side drapers to throw it further in the center.

Does your center drum have retracting fingers, or just sawtooth flighting?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
0n my 5100 the adaptor gear case doesn't have a bottom drain hole/plug.. I always changed the oil in my 5000's gear case yearly.. It has a vented top plug and 2 side ones for checking oil height..

Is this normal? and short of taking the gear case off the header how do I drain the oil/water?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The center drum does not have retracting fingers. Right now it is smooth, has pieces bolted on that make the drum smooth........kind of hides the teeth of the drum. Is sawtooth preferred for wheat, and I should remove pieces to expose teeth?

I see inside the long canvases, there is some buildup of trash. To remove that, does the canvas need to be opened up (separated/split) to get at it? I expect that might be a good thing to do anyway, to spin rollers to check bearings on rollers.

The sickle drive on mine is hydraulic, looking around on internet, seem to find drives that are belt driven, but not coming across hydraulic drives. One of the hydraulic motors that drive a long canvas is showing fluid leak. Don't know how severe or minor the leak is, are they easily rebuilt? All new to me, sure looking forward to putting it to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.