The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having issues with my 516 cornhead which is actually a capello built header. My problem is the stalk rolls have female spline at the top which slips on to the male shaft coming out of the gearbox. The splines on the rolls are stripping out, the male splines on the gearbox shafts are not showing any wear. I would like to know if anyone else has run into this issue on that header. I would like to just change the female hub on the end of the roll rather than replacing the entire roll. At 1500$ a row that just isn't feasible. Thanks; Paul

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I don't know but maybe compare/inspect/ask around how the C-508 headers are designed. I haven't heard of that issue with others so maybe a change could be made to improve your header.

Is your header actually a Capello or a Cat/Claas brand?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a Capello for sure, I would have to compare to other models to see if there are differences but I would think row unit components are all the same. I will contact a distributor near here to see if they can help. I think maybe the material used on these splined hubs is too soft and that is why they are going out.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think so. It says Lexion on the tin work but row unit gear boxes stalk roll knives has Capello stamped right on it. The new stuff might be claas mfg. I don't know but this one is made by Capello with a lexion dress on it.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I see. You have a Claas head made by capello. What year, how many acres or hours if you know?

I think Worthington ag parts is the one and only "capello" dealer in u.s. I doubt they have much insight on your issue though. A good cat/claas dealer that has been selling and servicing them for a long time could help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have run a 512 for 3 yrs. have went through 5 rolls. 3 this yr. 3 were the same row. Dealer didn't have a left one ,said to take one off a demo head. When I removed it water ran out of roll.claas told dealer that was quite common.there was a little bit of grease in it. I don't think water & grease work to good together.there was an oring on it but water still gets in it. They say they don't have that much trouble with them. Glad to know i'am not the only one to have trouble. Gets expensive @ $497 a roll

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a machinist looking into it for me;he thinks he can find a place to acquire that female splined hub and the it is only a matter of cutting worn hub off the stalk roll and welding new one on. I will let you know what he comes up with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.