The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to determine the year of a couple of 55 combines,one is square back and one is round back.SN 55-69652 and 55-59583.Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't looked at engines on these combines yet,both were running a few years ago,did the engines change between 1960 and 1964 or were they the same?Would they be Hercules?

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
Had a quick look in the service manuals for combine and the engines and between the two, the following numbers are listed for the 55:

From starting serial 46801 thru 83000 uses the 217 Deere engine.

From 83001 to end production used 303

Therefore anything 46800 and prior would have had the Herc.

·
Registered
595 Posts
A bit off topic but we had one of those when I was a youngster.. quite a step up from a #15 Massey PT. We stored our 55 outside with a binder canvas over the hopper. Dad went to remove the canvas prior to harvest and was severely stung on his face and neck when he disturbed to hornets nest underneath. He got his revenge that night by burning them out with a gasoline fire on a rag on a wire. They got their revenge the next day when he sat down on the seat and ripped a hole in the second nest under the seat. Some went right up his pant legs !

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
A bit off topic but we had one of those when I was a youngster.. quite a step up from a #15 Massey PT. We stored our 55 outside with a binder canvas over the hopper. Dad went to remove the canvas prior to harvest and was severely stung on his face and neck when he disturbed to hornets nest underneath. He got his revenge that night by burning them out with a gasoline fire on a rag on a wire. They got their revenge the next day when he sat down on the seat and ripped a hole in the second nest under the seat. Some went right up his pant legs !
Been there, done that. Different machine and different hornets. All I can say is OUCH

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey! How goes the combines? If you need any help as far as service manual information, let me know.. *if* it talks about Whatever you're trying to do in any of my service manuals, I'll gladly scan and email you a few pages.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need to tow a 55 combine home about 3 miles,should the spline couplers at the final drives be removed before towing?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey! How goes the combines? If you need any help as far as service manual information, let me know.. if it talks about Whatever you're trying to do in any of my service manuals, I'll gladly scan and email you a few pages.
Haven't looked at engines on these combines yet,both were running a few years ago,did the engines change between 1960 and 1964 or were they the same?Would they be Hercules?
Well, have had square back 55 in the shop this winter,got broken spark plug out and replaced,carb cleaned,fuel lines and pump cleaned,fuel tank was actually pretty decent,turned her over and she fired up.Purrs like a cougar.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Good old 55 combines. I am getting oldER. :) Those older combines are getting my attention more than the new ones. I enjoy watching them cut more than the new ones. Thank for sharing. Enjoy!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Our 45 in action tried posting a video but couldn’t. Combining a small patch of sunflowers. Frost got most of it didn’t quite make it in northern saskatchewan haha.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried posting video of my 55 idling in the shop but couldn’t figure it out
C32E9541-0FBA-4A29-82DD-3562A403BAD4.jpeg

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I just upload my videos to YouTube.
Heres a little jem I picked up this summer.
Been sitting outside under a tarp for probably 20 years. Probably bid against the scrapper and paid $300. About 8 miles from home, cleaned fuel system, (must have had a full tank because top 2/3 was stale gross fuel and bottom quarter was TAR, but that tar, although horribly sticky, seemed to preserve everything that it surrounded) few squirts of oil in each cylinder, got it running changed oil, topped all the fluids, drove it home! ?

Once on YouTube, share, copy, paste.
I'd love to see your videos!
Enjoy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts