The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else had trouble with the Iveco frying the rocker cover gasket alongside the turbo? Mine done it's 3rd in 3600hrs. The black rubber material can't handle the heat it would appear. Cheers

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
It happened to the owner of the larger model that I usually drive one night. I’m not exactly sure why. I cautioned him about lugging it too much and not to use partial throttle settings or to run it a gear too high. He had a fire but thankfully also enough Diet Coke to put it out. The new gasket was already in it when I pulled up in the morning.

I have thought of installing a big ceramic flooring tile or perhaps a second metal shield between that turbo and the valve cover but never did. By the end of this spring I should know if a less restrictive exhaust treatment system helps to prevent that possibility too.

It’s a -52 C wind chill out here this morning, -37 ambient. You would wonder sometimes how things can ever get too hot.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I would have to say egr isnt working right. Any idea what your exhaust temp is. Probably going to have bigger problems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would have to say egr isnt working right. Any idea what your exhaust temp is. Probably going to have bigger problems.
Case doesn’t use egr on most their engines.
Have had it cook out on a 550 also. Have heard of it being a common issue. You would think with the heat shield in place the air from the fan would blow the turbo heat to the rear away from the engine. Maybe it fills up with dirt between the valve cover and shield then the air from the fan can’t cool it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips, some kind of heat shield will be worth a try, turbo blanket or ceramic tile. The air blast from the fan may be blocked near the turbo. I will see if I can source some of the red rubber to try as a better heat tolerant gasket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It happened to the owner of the larger model that I usually drive one night. I’m not exactly sure why. I cautioned him about lugging it too much and not to use partial throttle settings or to run it a gear too high. He had a fire but thankfully also enough Diet Coke to put it out. The new gasket was already in it when I pulled up in the morning.

I have thought of installing a big ceramic flooring tile or perhaps a second metal shield between that turbo and the valve cover but never did. By the end of this spring I should know if a less restrictive exhaust treatment system helps to prevent that possibility too.

It’s a -52 C wind chill out here this morning, -37 ambient. You would wonder sometimes how things can ever get too hot.
Partial throttle may be an issue, I rarely run at full noise. I haven't heard of this happening on the combines which obviously have +40 C ambient and 110% power.

I wish the exhaust temp was still monitored, it's a great way to see how hard it's working.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Anyone else had trouble with the Iveco frying the rocker cover gasket alongside the turbo? Mine done it's 3rd in 3600hrs. The black rubber material can't handle the heat it would appear. Cheers
You mean the 12.9 FPT? Yes I had to change the rocker cover rubber last year. Thats on a T9.670 with the compound turbos. It was leaking when I bought it and I finally changed it after 2 years. We dont lug the engine so hopefully it will be fine for some time now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts