The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the salesman out from our local Lexion dealer this week. He made a good presentation so I am going to look into buying a Lexion, not for this year but maybe next year. Also going to try a new Gleaner S series. He has mentioned a 560R and also a 730. Both I understand are class 6 machines which is what I am running, a CIH 2388. I was just wondering if the price difference in the two is worth getting the 730? He says they both are the same internally. I want to do this but not break the bank. I have to trade heads no matter what I do. Definitely not going back red, service is horrible and parts, well lets not even go there. I will be trying both the Lexion and the Gleaner in the field this fall. So far looks like an amazing corn crop again so it should be a really good test.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We farm about 1100 acres of corn, soybeans and wheat. Generally we run about 600 corn, 400 soybeans, and 100 wheat. Plan on running a 8 row corn head and 30 ft. draper.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Dealership will make the decision for you... The gleaner will be more then enough combine, the lexion will out do your ability to haul the grain away.
The gleaners will be a larger learning curve.. Resale for both may not be the best...
Your acres would lean to the gleaner if you want to keep the combine for more the 5 years. The electronics on the class worry me... The gleaner has gotten good with getting parts and the guys that learn about them do all thier own work..

If your looking used a R76 or R66 would be what I would suggest.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I think both are good machines in their own way. I feel one of the biggest complaints I have with the Lexion day in and day out is the somewhat poor turning radius, but you can get used to it.

The electronics on our 740tt have been great, except a YMM, yield monitor module.
If you aren't buying new, save some money and get a good used 700 series on auction. Any color combine more times than not lately bring much less at auction than via a dealer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lexion salesman called today and wants to get together. He says he has some numbers on a 2009 580r with 1100 hours. Is there anything I should look for when I look at the machine? He says it has been through the shop. May be a little bit before we get together as I am leaving for a few day tomorrow and he says he is on vacation next week. Any input on this model would be appreciated. I know I am not buying anything until I try it out this fall.

·
Registered
880 Posts
We farm about 1100 acres of corn, soybeans and wheat. Generally we run about 600 corn, 400 soybeans, and 100 wheat. Plan on running a 8 row corn head and 30 ft. draper.
what is your corn yield generally?
i would be rotor all the way if I were you.
don't understand why you would go with conventional

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Might want to think resale, in our direction you literally have to auction off your two choices, no dealers will trade with you... Somewhat a sad situation for those brands

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Our yields on corn will vary by year but on a ten year average I'd say we are in that 185 to 190 bushel range. Last year we averaged 223 b/a and this year looks to be as good if not better if the weather holds out and we can avoid any major wind storms. But then again 2012 we averaged 75 b/a! Bad drought. Soybeans run from 50 to 65 b/a. This year, a combine demo with several different brands should separate the men from the boys.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the salesman got back to me on a price and quite frankly I was stunned. Trading off my 2550 hr. CIH 2388 for a 2009 560R with 11xx hours with 3-D sieves, new yield monitor, and basically a new motor, $80,000. Then trading my 2001 corn head for a 2009, $21,000. And finally, my 2005, 30ft. grain platform for a 30 foot Lexion platform, not sure what year yet, $3000.00. So the total package was $104,000. I know I my red, green, or silver, dealers can't touch this! I still am going to meet him to go through the machine and I am going to go to the Lexion combine clinic. I realize the resale on the Lexions is not so good, but the guys here that run them are completely sold on them. Say they would never go back to green or red. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I would try to get in a 700 series while making the move personally. Nothing wrong with the 500 series...never had one.

My thoughts...if people would quit saying the resale on the Lexion isn't the best, it would probably help (or hurt in your case)!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a follow up on the Lexion, I traded for the 560R with a 8 row head and 30ft. platform. So far...LOVE it!. I cannot believe how little grain comes out the back. There was less on the ground vs. my old 2388 before I even had it set! It is a beast in corn as you all have said. First field with 2 sand hills averaged 251 corrected to #2 corn. Ran 3.5 to 4. mph with no trouble at all. Just unloading all the time! Started soybeans and also was impressed with it. You really had to hunt to find a bean on the ground. We have a long way to go yet but so far really happy with the machine. However there is a learning curve but just takes some getting used to. Only two negatives are, as you all said, turning radius, and road speed.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I find it odd that you consistently hear the same story over and over again. The lexion stomps the other brands in saving crop and through put, so why is it that the resale is less? I took this into account when making the switch from Deere to lexion but you know what? When I take losses and clean outs into account over 10 years of ownership I could give the lexion away and it would still be cheaper to own than a Deere. I still don't get why they sell for less used.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts