The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2014 580 quad with approx 2000eng and 1500 driveline hours. Fuel filters changed 60hrs ago. We were seeding down a very steep hill yesterday and when we got to the bottom we got engine fault code 3141 (fuel supply pressure problem). My initial thinking was something in the tank got sucked into the line going down the hill. Cracked the line just at the fuel/water separator. Seemed like lots of fuel pouring out from gravity as tank is 3/4 full. Blew compressed air through this line in case there was an obstruction. Still got fault within 1 minute. Changed out fuel filters again. Still same code. Checked harness and couldn’t find any wires rubbed through. Dealer thinks it could be injectors and bad fuel pump (as a result of bad injectors). Anybody deal with this code before and if so what was the remedy?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Is that the high pressure common rail pump? Seems like 20-30,000 psi is a crazy amount for any pump to do long term. In the newer HPCR engines in Dodge and GM pickups they had a really high number of pump failures due to fuel contamination. The one little stock filter could not control the amount of water and dirt in average diesel fuel. The micron rating was something like 10 and needs to be more like 2. I have done lots of research on this and as a result have added 2 filters to several of my engines. The first filter should be about 30 micron. A Fleetguard FS 1000 or some of the newer 5000 series is good second filter should be about 5-10 micron which is common as the secondary on lots of equipment. The most important filter is the final and should be 2 micron absolute, which means nothing bigger than 2 microns gets through. My choice for that is a 1R0749 Cat and are about $27 available at most truck shops. It is the filter used on nearly all Cat equipment. The base to add the FS1000 and the 1R0749 has a 1” x 14 tpi thread and are available at Napa for about $30. I have just left the stock filter on my trucks as a final behind the 749 in case a fleck of dirt gets in when changing filters and don’t change it very often.

There is some real good info on site that specializes in Cummins engines in big fishing and pleasure boats.
Seaboard Marine
Tony Athens
He is a very smart guy with decades of experience and thousands of engine repairs and repower jobs which often need a better filter system than what the oem provided.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Turned out to be the fuel pump. Wonder why they’re going so early? Dealer had changed 3 this spring.
Just to add to my previous post. The FS1000 is very effective as a water separator and that is an extremely important part of filtration. The high pressure in the injecor (and pump) can destroy the tip if just one drop of water gets in and in a ag tractor like some boats that sit idle for months it becomes very important to control the condensation that gets in the tanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts