The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 580R with a Cat C13 engine and I was harvesting like normal and then the engine just died pulling it down to 1400rev so I stop, it wouldn`t even pull it self along. So I changed both fuel filters one on the bottom of the fuel tank a cartridge type and the motor one was a spin on type. so after changing the fuel filters I went back harvesting with full power. After 3 hours it did it again now after changing the fuel filters a 2nd time it never fix it. I have taking the fuel line off the fuel take and the fuel looks very clean so I know I have a problem some where els. Any help would be great don't know what to do next.

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
Check the primer plunger by the fuel filter at the engine. See if it is still primed. if it is primed the plunger should be hard and not spongy. I had a similar problem on my 590r. I put in new filters and after I ran it for a bit my fuel system lost its prime. When I finally got it primed again everything worked good.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have had this problem in a 460 , it was chaff in my tank and restricts the amount of fuel from the tank, I just used the airline or air tank to blow back into the tank intill I had time to get it cleaned. Hopefully this is your problem and nothing more serious.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
It could be something within the injector system.

It seems weird but I had a similar issue with an early 740 with C9. Lost power out of the blue. Idled poorly and barely pulled itself running empty, would die when engaging seperator even. Changed fuel filters with little benefit. Talked to a few mechanics...same injection design as older Ford 7.3 diesels. They use engine oil within the injection system to operate. Determined one bad injector can really make for a poor running Cat. For some reason, the machine began to run better IIRC. Changed engine oil as it was at about 400 hours IIRC on good synthetic oil. That seemed to help it even more. I tinkered with it, along with the oil change, and it seemed to heal itself somewhat. As soon as Cat came to hook laptop up and did an injector test, #6 injector IIRC was "questionable". They replaced it under the 5 year/emissions warranty and it has been fine since, now at 1100 engine hours.

Never have liked the HEUI sound when starting cold or idling. These fuel systems seem fairly simple, but have some easily fixed weak points. Check valves and fuel primers seem to be common issues. My point of this post is keeping clean engine oil in helps more than just the lube system within the engine, but also is important for the fuel system.

An infrared thermometer on each exhaust port can tell you something. 1 and 6 should be close to same temp, 2 and 5 warmer, and 3 and 4 the warmest and nearly matching. Infrared thermometers can be great tools for many things. An unusually cool port would point to a bad injector. Can check at startup, after engine is warm, and even during operation if your careful.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It could be something within the injector system.

It seems weird but I had a similar issue with an early 740 with C9. Lost power out of the blue. Idled poorly and barely pulled itself running empty, would die when engaging seperator even. Changed fuel filters with little benefit. Talked to a few mechanics...same injection design as older Ford 7.3 diesels. They use engine oil within the injection system to operate. Determined one bad injector can really make for a poor running Cat. For some reason, the machine began to run better IIRC. Changed engine oil as it was at about 400 hours IIRC on good synthetic oil. That seemed to help it even more. I tinkered with it, along with the oil change, and it seemed to heal itself somewhat. As soon as Cat came to hook laptop up and did an injector test, #6 injector IIRC was "questionable". They replaced it under the 5 year/emissions warranty and it has been fine since, now at 1100 engine hours.

Never have liked the HEUI sound when starting cold or idling. These fuel systems seem fairly simple, but have some easily fixed weak points. Check valves and fuel primers seem to be common issues. My point of this post is keeping clean engine oil in helps more than just the lube system within the engine, but also is important for the fuel system.

An infrared thermometer on each exhaust port can tell you something. 1 and 6 should be close to same temp, 2 and 5 warmer, and 3 and 4 the warmest and nearly matching. Infrared thermometers can be great tools for many things. An unusually cool port would point to a bad injector. Can check at startup, after engine is warm, and even during operation if your careful.

While good clean oil greatly benefits the C9 or other HEUI injection systems it doesn't help as much on a C13. The C13 is not a HEUI engine still good to keep the oil nice and clean though.;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had that happen on every JD combine I've owned since the 9600 days. Always the same thing, plastic chaff or shavings left in tank after the factory drilled holes for various fittings and they don't bother to clean or vacuum them out. Really annoying! JD's have a 1/4 turn valve on the bottom of tank, turn the valve off, remove fuel line, open valve and it should pour or gush out. If it's restricted even a little, it kills the power after a few minutes. As the other guys said, put the air to it, and it'll go. Might have to do it one or more times there after, and then they never seemed to plug again.

If that doesn't fix it, next step is the transfer pump. Did have one fail, was under a 100 bucks for new one, so I still keep a spare one around. Hope that helps, and good luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds like sh*t in the tank. One way of checking that is remove the line before the water separator/sediment filter. It should full freely with a gush. Try blowing air through it back in the tank. If it flows more after you'll know you have to clean the tank. I'd check that before spending money on anything else.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Check that the air intake line on fuel tank is open. On my 570, it was a 1/4" tube that hangs down by clean grain elevator. I collapsed fuel tank when it plugged. After that I put an old sprayer screen over the end and blew it off daily. Best way to check, when you have the power loss, open the fuel filler cap and see if there is a rush of air going in.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Fuel supply problem

There are some good suggestions here. I have never had a C9 but on lots of other Cats there are 2 little wafer like check valves in the filter and primer pump housing. One has to be one way to draw fuel into the primer and then close as the second one opens and lets the fuel advance to the high pressure side. Repeat. Those little wafers are just staked into their drilled well in the soft aluminum housing, and sometimes the wafer wears the ridges and flips over. The engine stops because it can't get fuel. Just as easy , the wafer can flip over the right way and the engine may run. I have seen this quite a few times. It is easy to check for proper operation with the filter housing off by setting the housing in diesel and work the primer pump. If it does not pump, get the wafers sitting the right way and restake into their proper wells.

Another type of check valve in the same filter housing can give trouble on the C13 in combines. It is part of a plug in the top of the housing ( one of two about 1 1/4" plugs on top of the housing, the one closest to the engine and to the right). I had it happen after changing fuel filters on a 590 and after a day and a half of priming and bleeding and head scratching, I phoned my tech. We found a small piece of that black tank plastic holding the valve off the seat. Fixed the problem. Tech says it is quite common. Have a spare valve now.

In a previous post someone said there was an electric fuel pump on a combine. Were you talking about a Lexion? Just wondered if some combines were using electric pumps to make priming easier. My 590 is a beast to try and get primed after filter changes. I bought mine 2 years old and someone has installed one right after the primary filter. It is not wired into the combine but when bleeding the system I just hook it up to a battery and let it run to try and get fuel to the secondary filter. Not sure it helps but anything to try and get it primed. Any ideas? Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.