The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've read through all the straw chopper mod threads i could find on here but cant really figure out what the best way to get 40' spread outta these 500 series choppers is. I dont really have much time to play around making things so i guess im looking for "bolt on" modifications. I played around with the factory adjustments and could get about 35' in wheat straw but at most about 20' in soybeans. The tailboard had slots for an extra set of fins so i installed them but it didnt seem to help much. I also put new "wind blades" on the outside edges of the chopper and that help some to but still cant get close to 40' spread. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
309 Posts
That is what i would have tried as well. The windblades with the angle. Other than that it is very hard as the complete design of this chopper is already decades old! Maybe your dealer has some other suggestions, otherwise i guess you tuned it already more or less to its max. performannce!?

·
Registered
244 Posts
stsdavew,
We have found by adding claas pn. 353414.1 left hand flail hammer to the left hand four sets (1 flail per set) and add claas pn. 353415.1 to the right hand four sets (1 flail per set) the chopper will spread 40ft. plus. do this to all the rows. Another trick add an 1 1/2 inch angle iron full width bolted to the rear edge of the chopper floor (extends the floor, bolt holes are there already). These are simple bolt on mods that really work. Good luck! Tiger

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that tiger. I asked parts last fall for the flail knives and all i got was more of the wind blades so i Just thought they werent available for lexions. If you bolt that angle iron on do you still adjust the floor to the uppermost position?

·
Registered
244 Posts
No problems what so ever. The angled part of the flail is away from the stationary knives. We mount them on the outside of each set. For the last 10 years its been our standard setup. Actually it spreads a bit over 40ft and in windy conditions it can throw some straw into the standing crop. Had to tip the outside fins in a bit.Its such a simple fix you would think claas would catch on? Good luck! Tiger

·
Registered
244 Posts
The claas flail blade pn that I posted are different(narrower) than the redekop wind blades. I don't like the word never but we have never had the claas pn 353 414.1 or claas pn 353415.1 s touch a stationary that I know of. They are actually off a 480r.(400 series chopper before redekop) but bolt right on the 500 /700 series. We also run a reinforced chopper floor as the standard floor cracks after several hundred hours in corn.(cobbs beating on it) Goodluck! tiger

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Tiger thanks for all the info you have provided over the years. Your modifications have been a help to all of us. Tiger do you have any issues with APS or impeller plugging with green stem soybeans or other crops you harvest?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just searched the pn you gave tiger and am now a little confused do you remove the sharp knives and repkace them with these wind blades? And if so how does that affect the chopping? Does noone make an after market cutting knife with wing for extra wind?

·
Registered
244 Posts
STS,
We have noticed no difference in chopping,however if your looking to (ease in) to a wider spread just add the claas flail blades to every other row of swinging knives. Even with all the rows each swinging set still has one sharp knife like the original 400's, they chopped fine just only spread 15-20ft on a good day. Thats where we really learned how to expand spread width. Search our old posts you'll get a chuckle out of what we had to do to get the 400's to spread 40ft plus.. Good luck! Tiger

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
has anybody out there used the serrated stationary knives? if so what did you think of them? I was also looking at parts online and the European choppers used 67 stationary knives vs 25 for N.A. and no flails, and 88 revolving knives vs 52 for N.A. and 12 flails! That would sure do some chopping but how do they get the spread??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.