The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best feeder house drive options on a Lexion 585R for a 12 Row chopping corn header?

I currently have the standard 2 belt variable speed drive and I am limited while harvesting some corn varieties as some must chop more difficult. Is this a common problem with this drive or do I have something else out of adjustment or worn?

I heard that going to a fixed speed drive would be a good option. I also heard that there is a three belt system that is a option.

Is the drive on a 595R the same as a 585R?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
It sounds like you have what our 740 has. A variable speed belt between the battery and bottom of the grain tank. From there, 2 v-belts running together that go up to the feederhouse. I believe a 595 would have three v-belts going forward. In fact, do some of your pulleys have room for another v-belt?

Either way, I think the variable speed belt will limit you. Therefore, the fixed speed option likely is the strongest, but it would cost to convert your machine to that.

·
Registered
880 Posts
fixed speed, ask mb farmers, but think he's in favor of the fixed speed.
he does a lot of corn with his lexion and had several heads on his combine and several different machines with different options.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The variable speed option on the 700 series is a joke and for the life of me I don't know why it is even available as an option...it will NOT drive a chopping head, I can make it slip on my flex head if I engage the airreel past half way open. The 500 series variable speed drive is more powerful and will run the flexhead with air reel but still not good enough to run a chopping head properly.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
The variable speed option on the 700 series is a joke and for the life of me I don't know why it is even available as an option...it will NOT drive a chopping head, I can make it slip on my flex head if I engage the airreel past half way open. The 500 series variable speed drive is more powerful and will run the flexhead with air reel but still not good enough to run a chopping head properly.
Can you clarify the variable speed drive on the 700 series you refer to? I think they have/had offerer numerous different designs of a variable speed drive. I think my 2011 740 is the same as a 575. I also think the newest 700 series are very robust now...but I think I might be completely wrong also!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Can you clarify the variable speed drive on the 700 series you refer to? I think they have/had offerer numerous different designs of a variable speed drive. I think my 2011 740 is the same as a 575. I also think the newest 700 series are very robust now...but I think I might be completely wrong also!
I do believe you're right. The variable speed drive on my 2014 780 is the same as on my previous 595 but the mercedes engine runs 200 rpm slower and therefore doesn't exert as much centrifugal force on the variable speed sheaves and therefor they can't grip the belt properly. The 3 band V belt never slips...only the variable speed belt does.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
I do believe you're right. The variable speed drive on my 2014 780 is the same as on my previous 595 but the mercedes engine runs 200 rpm slower and therefore doesn't exert as much centrifugal force on the variable speed sheaves and therefor they can't grip the belt properly. The 3 band V belt never slips...only the variable speed belt does.
Something was changed on the variable drive in 2013 making it much weaker, it couldn't really run a stripper header properly and I know mb had a nightmare running a corn header, well, really, it just couldn't do it, he ended up using his old machine.
They have three drives now, a super duper setup for the big chopping heads
in addition to a fixed and the gutless variable drive.

I have never disagreed with anything you've said until just now gm, the engine does run slower but everything else has to run the same speed, they must have simply put larger pulleys on the engine gear case.
Doesn't seem to help that "MAIN DRIVE BELT SLIP" though.:rolleyes::confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
You set your speed on mechanical fh variatior measure the distance between outside variatior half and ramp hub. One inche approx 420 rpm use one inch square tubing. Three pieses. You will need to trim off inside of tubing so they go in far enough,use large hose clamp , gray tape or what to hold them in. Now learn actual no load setting to be 420rpm. Now variatior can not under heavy load this will keep belt from slipping, this is not a authorized fix by claas but will get to finish harvest. I have done this myself as I know it works

1 - 13 of 13 Posts