The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title says my 590 went down today. looks like a twisted cylinder stub shft or bent web where the stub shaft attaches to. Cylinder has a notaciable twist in the rub bars. It doesn't vibrate at all under 700 but above that it's a shaker over 800 rpm. Thing is don't know when it got bent. Cart driver was coming up on my right side and since I don't have the cover on there he could see the multi v belt drive with the planetary wobbleing about a 1/2 inch. I think I know when it bent and it was in fabba beans a week ago. Went through a low area that had froze quite hard and the plants were still quite green. Plugged the impeller here. Since then all we have done was fabbas and canola so cylinder speed has never been much above 550. Rained here today so pick up a sunny rook cylinder and concave at the factory through Alberta harvest center. Looks like a 2 day job to do this but if it keeps raining think this is what i will do. This is looking like this is common in central Alberta this year with the tough conditions we are having. Tough straw and dry grain til now. All of our canola has been dry but plant mass has been damp where the stocks were on the ground.

Just looking for advice here. Finish what I have then change it. Once i take it apart I will probably find other things that should be changed. Could have to wait a extra day for parts. Thinking along the line that with 60 acres just finish with a wider concave opening and just nurse it along till done. What's your thoughts .

·
Registered
680 Posts
We put the sunny brook in last winter. From what I can remember the worst part really was taking the tire off. And the drive gear box actually. Otherwise fairly simple.
Did the impellar wear kit while I could lay in there.
One day job really if you can get at it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I don't know your crops or weather, but with a nice forecast, I say put the s.b. in it, fix it right, and then finish up the field, likely easily in a day.

With a rainy forecast, I say put the s.b. in.:)
Canola drys fast after a rain but at this time of the year here in Alberta the drying part of our day is just a few hours with no wind. If this would be a monday or tuesday i'm inclined to change it but we wont get it apart til late afternoon thursday which will probably be to late to order other parts we might need so they will have to be ordered friday morning. best i could receive parts is Saturday or worse monday.. This is what concerns me. I had bad luck with loosing part of a finger a few days ago so things take a lot longer to work on with just one hand. I was told its a 19 hour job to do but if its just a day i will seriously think about it now.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We put the sunny brook in last winter. From what I can remember the worst part really was taking the tire off. And the drive gear box actually. Otherwise fairly simple.
Did the impellar wear kit while I could lay in there.
One day job really if you can get at it.
Thanks Tim. How do you like your sunny brook. Did you do both or just the cylinder. We had a new wear kit put on last fall but yes i an going to put the sunnybrook wear kit in.

·
Super Moderator
5,036 Posts
If not I would do the cylinder which is a days job with help and do the concave latter which is a bigger job.
Well, you're already there though, easier to change concave with cylinder out and wheel off.

If the forecast is good after rain (and I see it is) I maybe would lean toward changing it all, might keep from bring on any further damage.

Did you get impeller wear strips from SB Brian? Perfect time to add them.
SB's not much of a drive for you.

Tell you one thing for sure Brian.
When you get all the Sunnybrook parts in you will feel like you have a brand new machine and any time and money was well spent!:)

·
Premium Member
6,060 Posts
Your right Don it is easiest to do it all at once. I have not put in a concave in a lexion but I think you have to remove the feederhouse and APS to get it in which is job. We replace our APS last year and that took a long day as well. For the cylinder removing and putting the tires back on is the hardest thing to do unless you are set up to do it which we are not. It will be well worth it to put the sunny brook cylinder in. Brian I am wondering if you increased the APS gap? That woukd increase the load on the cylinder greatly and the old open Claas design in a 590r I do not think could take the extra load. The sunny brook I would have no worries on. With my APS gap wider I have been breaking APS belts with wads that go in. Last night was the first night in a wile we did not break on but have the tightener backed way off.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are they installing the "Goose Feet" standard on all Claas cylinders now Brian?
All the cylinders for Lexions that I saw Don had the duck feet on them. There concave also has V shape bars in the center front portion to also help in dividing the crop to the impeller. They claim that since they have this v pattern , duck feet and there wear kit they have not heard of anyone having impeller plugging issues. Guess we will see. We really don't plug our impeller much maybe once a year and usually it's in the first round of a field that loaded with thistles lol.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Your right Don it is easiest to do it all at once. I have not put in a concave in a lexion but I think you have to remove the feederhouse and APS to get it in which is job. We replace our APS last year and that took a long day as well. For the cylinder removing and putting the tires back on is the hardest thing to do unless you are set up to do it which we are not. It will be well worth it to put the sunny brook cylinder in. Brian I am wondering if you increased the APS gap? That woukd increase the load on the cylinder greatly and the old open Claas design in a 590r I do not think could take the extra load. The sunny brook I would have no worries on. With my APS gap wider I have been breaking APS belts with wads that go in. Last night was the first night in a wile we did not break on but have the tightener backed way off.
I was going too but I never did increase the gap. With 1 day harvesting and 3 days wait pattern we have this year with the weather,well here anyways, we just went with the way it was set.

From what I understand I don't think you have to remove the aps but it's much easier if you do remove it. A lot more fine movements are required to get the concave out with aps still in there .

·
Super Moderator
5,036 Posts
All the cylinders for Lexions that I saw Don had the duck feet on them. There concave also has V shape bars in the center front portion to also help in dividing the crop to the impeller. They claim that since they have this v pattern , duck feet and there wear kit they have not heard of anyone having impeller plugging issues.
I will concur!
I put through a bunch of sage from an outside round that I am sure would have plugged the impeller without all the SB goodies.
Not only that but the combine is so smooth and quiet with all the SB goodies it's almost eerie, lots of times you don't even realize you are overloading it, engine power limit wise!:)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What do you all think about a redesign of the APS paddles? I bet Ron Kile would build them. Make them more like a threshing bar on the bottom.

Home - Kile Machine & Manufacturing, Inc.

I like the idea seedcleaner for wheat and other small grains but in you opinion do you think you would get more crack, damage seed in soy, peas and fabba?

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Good grief finish!!! Both our 590's have twisted cylinder shafts but did not bend the shaft as the tensioner's do not bounce. That's just what they do!

We did a concave on a 480 before season and its more of a job you want at this stage in the game.

This season only had one impeller belt go a 2:00 am in wheat beating the rain when a big wad from the divider went though. Easy unplug as it was just mature wet wheat straw. Belt was smoked though.

One cylinder belt, this was on the "Hot" 590. First time it's been plugged on what my wife said was a completely harmless looking wad of 100% green buckwheat beaver condominium! Cylinder belt for a lack of a better word exploded into 100 pieces. This was not a easy unplug.

Aside from that no trouble to speak of. Both of these were 100% operator avoidable. As it goes for us, we don't need to change a thing. All OEM gear.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Question for you Don. With all the SB goodies are you able to run the cylinder slower?
In fabbas and peas this year we needed to run below 500 rpm and it just about impossible to run this low in fabbas as you could hear the impeller being overloaded with dividing material to the rotors. Had lots of crack fabbas this year due to the -8 c on sept 10 this year. In spots where we tried to run at 300 we were getting by with a lot less cracks but you could jot keep this speed up.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Hydrastatic drive to both the aps and impeller would be the ticket. Reversible. Cylinder plug and rotor plug are very very low incidence. Completely controllable speed on the impeller and APS I think woukd allow the lowest cylinder speed if needed along with deslug capability. 2018? I suppose?

·
Super Moderator
5,036 Posts
Question for you Don. With all the SB goodies are you able to run the cylinder slower?
In fabbas and peas this year we needed to run below 500 rpm and it just about impossible to run this low in fabbas as you could hear the impeller being overloaded with dividing material to the rotors. Had lots of crack fabbas this year due to the -8 c on sept 10 this year. In spots where we tried to run at 300 we were getting by with a lot less cracks but you could jot keep this speed up.
Not sure under the conditions you describe but yes, you can run slower cylinder speeds with SB and get away without plugging in peas.
The APS becomes the bottleneck though as it's tip speed is slower than the cylinder.
It always is of course but when it gets that slow you are limited by it's drive.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.