The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What got me started on this mini project was a carrier Telus six tower outage last week and since then 5G was normal but wifi was smoke signal material. Hmm..
Time for my annual normally time waster call to carrier Telus.
Wasn’t home at the time so couldn’t check wifi, that turned out to be a good thing.

Several tests with various receive methods just this am.
Font Astronomical object Circle Slope Electric blue

From the top:
The first one Telus smart hub routed through a Netgear router.
The second one Telus smart hub routed directly to pad. Those two speeds essentially identical as one would expect.
The third line was 5G direct.
The fourth line Telus smart hub direct first test.
The fifth line was LTE direct. Wait a minute. Download 20% ish faster and upload almost double of 5G? Huh?
The sixth and last line initial test 5G direct.

Interesting.
After tower restarts;
Font Circle Electric blue Screenshot Number

Bottom two 5G direct, the rest just repeated wifi to confirm results.

Turns out Telus Smart hub just needed power cycled/reset to get it back to normal.

As to 5G Telus Smart hubs, they are under test in BC and when confirmed Alberta and BC customers will get notified.
Huh, really Telus?!

5G slower than LTE especially upload? Really Telus?!

Going to take awhile to stabilize performance, been wildly variable ever since 5G showed about 4 months ago.

All interesting.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Here with Sasktel with a tower 7 miles from my house it is hit and miss if I can even use my phone. There is a rise in elevation 3 miles from the tower that is likely 80' higher and at my place higher still but no lets build a tower a mile out of town instead You are light yrs ahead of us lol worried about your speed. We have a provincial park 12 miles from my yard and they put a tower there yrs ago paired with the one 7 miles from me. Every summer people flock to the lake and everyone is using data or at least trying too. It takes over an hr sometimes to even get a text. I have 4 phones I pay a ridiculous amount of money to use with terrible service. You call them and they think you are so lucky to have their union waged jobs working for you. Arrogance at its finest.

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My home is only 2 km away and can see virtually the entire tower.
Interestingly on the road to Three Hills there is a dead spot when you are actually closer but obscured by the the first hill of Three Hills, towers are on the third hill.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
5G doesn't mean anything at all. Originally, 5G referred to super-fast 25 GHz communication which is only possible in a dense city with thousands of towers all within a couple of hundred feet of the devices. Basically think of it as city-wide WiFi but run by cell companies. Speeds would be in the gigabit/s range. You will never see real 5G in a rural area ever. Just not possible. Probably would never be seen in suburbs either, unless a homeowner had a transceiver installed in his or her house.

Thus 5G is purely a marketing term now, covering new revisions of existing technology and speeds. Basically cell companies just call anything they want 5G. It's a form of legalized dishonesty.

We've been using smarthub for several years and it's worked well for us, throttled to 20 up, 20 down. In many areas Telus has over-sold it, so speeds are dropping off for many customers because of saturated towers. If you're a ways from the tower, slow speeds could be caused by it jumping between towers. For about $130 you can get a directional, external antenna that helps with that.

We're also using Starlink for the last few months. So far it's quite good. around 40 down, 10 up. Latency is excellent, 100 ms or less, which I never thought I'd ever see from a satellite internet connection. The little dish, mounted to the eve of my brother's house, has a rather flimsy mount on it, but so far has held up to some high winds. $125 CAD a month. If anyone is interested in getting it, sign up now and maybe you'll get it within six months. Starlink just announced production will be reduced due to chip shortages of course. Here's hoping Starlink finally providing real competition will slowly start to the change the intransigence of the telco cartels. Starlink is hoping some day to have antennas small enough to fit in a cell phone. That should scare the telcos.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Here with Sasktel with a tower 7 miles from my house it is hit and miss if I can even use my phone. There is a rise in elevation 3 miles from the tower that is likely 80' higher and at my place higher still but no lets build a tower a mile out of town instead You are light yrs ahead of us lol worried about your speed. We have a provincial park 12 miles from my yard and they put a tower there yrs ago paired with the one 7 miles from me. Every summer people flock to the lake and everyone is using data or at least trying too. It takes over an hr sometimes to even get a text. I have 4 phones I pay a ridiculous amount of money to use with terrible service. You call them and they think you are so lucky to have their union waged jobs working for you. Arrogance at its finest.
Same at Hitchcock bay. Sasktel sucks. Telus your phone works normal. Telus buys more access than they use off that tower.

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
I’m relatively certain that the phone networks sell off a good portion of their prioritized capacity to large business entities that have people in the area doing work for them. My wife worked for a national company for years inside their offices, but after covid our own wireless services could not maintain stability of her workstation. After setting up a company owned audit kit in the house running on the companies subscription, service was magically bullet proof and fast, and they got another years work out of the old girl.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Had a Starlink Dish since March
Download speeds initially 70 -100 MBPS
Uploads at 30 MBPS

Now downloads average around the 40

MBPS
Uploads at 12 -25 MBPS

Service has been good never had to phone their help desk yet. Antenna is amazing how it tunes in to the sky almost straight up, the edge of the satellite band is around the 52 degrees Latitude.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts