The Combine Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
5G doesn't mean anything at all. Originally, 5G referred to super-fast 25 GHz communication which is only possible in a dense city with thousands of towers all within a couple of hundred feet of the devices. Basically think of it as city-wide WiFi but run by cell companies. Speeds would be in the gigabit/s range. You will never see real 5G in a rural area ever. Just not possible. Probably would never be seen in suburbs either, unless a homeowner had a transceiver installed in his or her house.

Thus 5G is purely a marketing term now, covering new revisions of existing technology and speeds. Basically cell companies just call anything they want 5G. It's a form of legalized dishonesty.

We've been using smarthub for several years and it's worked well for us, throttled to 20 up, 20 down. In many areas Telus has over-sold it, so speeds are dropping off for many customers because of saturated towers. If you're a ways from the tower, slow speeds could be caused by it jumping between towers. For about $130 you can get a directional, external antenna that helps with that.

We're also using Starlink for the last few months. So far it's quite good. around 40 down, 10 up. Latency is excellent, 100 ms or less, which I never thought I'd ever see from a satellite internet connection. The little dish, mounted to the eve of my brother's house, has a rather flimsy mount on it, but so far has held up to some high winds. $125 CAD a month. If anyone is interested in getting it, sign up now and maybe you'll get it within six months. Starlink just announced production will be reduced due to chip shortages of course. Here's hoping Starlink finally providing real competition will slowly start to the change the intransigence of the telco cartels. Starlink is hoping some day to have antennas small enough to fit in a cell phone. That should scare the telcos.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts