The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a case like this I'm happy for the guy, he's the proud owner of a new combine, he is entitled to put whatever header he wants on his machine, it doesn't bother me...............

·
Registered
34 Posts
30 inch spacing, the 12 row planter thing doesnt make a whole lot of scense because that thing can hold a 12 row, the narrow gaps thing doesnt fit because he basically farms everything in sight of the grain elevator, and its pretty much wide open, and it i doubt its a money issue, because the guy runs two new peterbilts, and a brand new 1000 bushel brent cart, and a new 305 magnum case ih, so it is really not making a whole lot of scense.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Out of all of our dealerships customers that have 2100-2500 series combines every last one of them run 6 row heads on them. In order to put a 12 row head on a 2588 it has to be 12 row ready, so maybe he did not order it that way. Also a 12 row 2588 is almost maxxed out on sieve and clean grain capacity especially in high yielding corn. So maybe he felt that he could go faster and still get more done in a day.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Well, you asked for answers and we gave some. If you really have to know why the guy has a six row header then stop and ask him.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Large combine with a smaller corn head seems to be fairly common in this area.
8-12 row plus headers require a larger amount of infrastructure/investment behind them to haul all the product away.
Main reason here though is a larger combine is more important for soybeans and wheat with a 30ft plus header. Soybeans and wheat always seem to be more weather sensative than corn in a typical year to maintain quality and grade when dealing with protein levels, IP, etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You've got the price on a new 2588 way high or well a heck of alot more than we payed for ours. Even more than I'm paying for a 7088.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So, i'd taking a load of grain a couple days ago, and i saw something that made me want to throw up. This guy had a brand spankin new 2588. With a 2206 case ih header. Why would anyone in their right mind do this. i live in indiana, around here if we can average a 180 bpa, that is a heck of a year. so its not like this guys swamped down with 220 bpa corn, outside of maybe not owning a header cart why would anyone do this to a machine that nice! someone give me a answer!

·
Registered
560 Posts
maybe it was all he could afford?

price was right (maybe he was at an auction and no one was bidding, or he inherited it somehow)? if it's free, I'd use it too...

road it without a cart, as you mentioned

fields connected by narrow gaps

specialty harvest conditions (test plots, etc.)

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Maybe he has a twelve row planter and doesn't want to deal with check rows in the middle of the header. Or maybe he doesn't have enough trucks or a big enough grain cart to keep up with an eight or twelve row header. Just relax, admire the shiny new paint and go about your business.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i use a 6 row head because that is all my dryer system will handle. hauling to town all you do there is set in line. would a 12 row head really speed this up??? to each his own ace

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
yeah im with the last guy we use8 row heads cause we ketch up to our elevator system at home with it...so why use 12...

plus we really like our 16/31 1200 planters... and the older 900 ih planter...

we would have to spend a crap load of money just to be able to accomidate two combines with 12 row combines...

probably will never happen but you never know...

also a 7010 with a 6 row??????

thats very strange.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
There are some good reasons for using a 6 row head, but it is too small for a 2588. A 2588 would easily handle an 8 row head at a reasonable speed like 4 mph and it would require driving 5.33 mph to keep the machine as full as an 8 row head at 4 mph. At the higher speed there would be more field loss.

·
Registered
123 Posts
He could be using a 6 row head for several reasons: he is using a 6 or 12 row planter, has another header like a 12 row to go with it, needs the bigger combine for doing beans with 30ft+ header, has 4-6 row terraces to fit in, can't keep the grain hauled away from a bigger head, maybe it was a 6 row 38in spacing, and finally after hearing all the other new stuff you said he had... he is broke and cant afford a bigger head. Just because you see people with all new stuff dont mean it is paid for, some people spend within their means while others don't. It's hard telling the real reason with out just asking the guy.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
pushing 300....we still can't hit 180 avg in southern il effingham on south..

6 row's not that bad on a 2588... like your saying it would work if you had really high yields...

·
Registered
34 Posts
i guess i can understand why, it just didn't make a whole lot of sense when i saw the combine stuck out past the header almost, but whatever, like you guys said 8 row would be best, but its his own d**n money, and he can do whatever he wants with it. i know my neighbor though has a 2377 with a 6 row and books with that thing on pretty decent ground. if he bought it knew he probably would have gone with a 2577 but maybe saw a good price at an auction or something, but hey man more power to you for breaking the trend

·
Registered
349 Posts
We run a 2206 on our 2588 for many reasons, some which have been stated. You can still shell 100 acres a day with a 6 row. The machine is 12 row ready also so we have no problems picking the 2206 up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Excuse me, but why are you so worked up over what someone else is doing. Its their money, you spend yours and let them spend theirs. Is someone telling you how to spend yours? If it bothers you so much go buy a new 2588 and a 3212, or better yet buy him the new head and let him use it.

FYI, a six row on an 88 isn't a bad match. In a few years when corn yields are bumping 300 bpa they will be the perfect 6 row combine. In high yielding corn on long rows it works great. Everyones reasons and situations are different.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts