The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It snowed and that was winter.

Right now it is snowing pretty good and if you believe the forecast we are gonna get a lot! My phone often notify's me with pictures from 1/2/3 years ago, but if it had pictures from 1959 I imagine this is what it might look like...:frown:

·
Registered
972 Posts
We got around 3 or 4 inches of snow the other day. Hoping it goes away in a few days when temps come back up above 0.

How much are you at? Think you'll get going again?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Had to go to Winnipeg last saturday and you guy's are definitely wet SW . We had a little skiff here but has now melted but my machine is 15 miles south and it's still white there .

·
Premium Member
8,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much are you at? Think you'll get going again?
Current view out window.

Current forecast for town just across border.

Given how wet some of the fields were already and if we get that much snow it might not happen. I'm not going to panic based off some forecast and we are in good shape as most of remaining crop is corn and combine has tracks and RWA. There is still a LOT of crop out that could potentially be affected by this snowstorm though.

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
I am glad I was not born 60 years ago and for that matter cannot even remember lots of things even in last 15 years. However, back in 2016 it looked and felt much more like Winter for this time of yr than it does now - currently looking at snow on ground for 2nd time this yr - and ground/grain conditions likely better now than in 2016(RS wheat still a #2 albeit moisture, protein and even some ergot issues before latest snow and mostly standing). We got our best couple wks of combining FH Nov in 2016 and actually think this yr will be better except for prices. There were people, by there own choice, that were monkeying around in December in 2016, but there should be no reason to stretch out this foolishness that far. I do feel for people that have less than 10% of crop off and dealing with worse quality/ground conditions.

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
Swman how much do you have left to do? From what Drew Learner was saying today it does not sound good for southern Manitoba.

·
Premium Member
8,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Swman how much do you have left to do? From what Drew Learner was saying today it does not sound good for southern Manitoba.
About 340 of canola and the corn, basically went straight through from Monday morning until it rained on Wednesday at 6AM. First time I have ever burnt an entire tank of fuel in one stretch with my 780! If I did not have a grain dryer and a Claas on tracks we would have way more out still. Oh yeah, my guys didn't tap out when it was go time, I think everyone knew it was a now-or-never type of situation.

Might get back at it yet, I wouldn't bet against it. Reading up on 1959 it does sound horrific:
For early season snowfall misery though, nothing beats Oct 1959 over SW Manitoba. On Oct 7-8 that year, 30-55 cm of snow fell over SW MB including Brandon. That was followed two days later by another 20-40 cm blizzard on Oct 9-10th, with 100 km/h wind gusts! Snow depths were over 50 cm and towns were stranded for days. To top it off, they had another 15-25 cm snowstorm on Oct 25th. Brandon recorded their snowiest month ever with 115 cm that month, an entire winter's worth of snow! Snow was on the ground from Oct 7th and didn't disappear until 6 months later in early April.. Now THAT'S a long winter!

·
Registered
735 Posts
It is funny(or not) how each area has its memories of "that year" . If you wanted to be more scared the year talked about the most in these parts is actually 1954. Funny enough 5 years ago(2014) we had Winter conditions that were compared to 1954(60 years ago than for us) - long,cold, record snow load, etc. Actually had building go down that Winter from snow load that had never been seen in time since it was built(1978) and there were plenty of these stories. Funny enough that sort of lines up with your 60 years now. Coincidence or not?

We tend to have at least 3 out of 10 years around here where conditions at least as bad as they have been this yr(so far) so hard to get too concerned - yet.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I just talked to guy today that said he started farming in 1959, heavy snow/blizzard on Nov 7 and stayed crap for 6 weeks.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I was just like you swman worked till it rain. Finish the canola and beans just oats out there. Crop insurance will pay me more profit for the oats.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Everyone going here. Finished canola other night in snow. Took a stab at remaining oats and dry! Can’t believe it but froze so much I think it freeze dried. Even canola coming off dry. Hopefully finished by tomorrow night. Good friend brought his machine down and that is the only reason I’m this far. Will return the favour when his stuff is ready. Some guys just started a few days ago.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I remember my grandparents talking about an early winter in the early '50's, can't remember the year exactly. No crop was off anywhere. There were people who hadn't dug their potatoes yet, but there was so much snow the ground never froze, and they were able to dig them through out the winter and spring and they kept fine.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I remember my grandparents talking about an early winter in the early '50's, can't remember the year exactly. No crop was off anywhere. There were people who hadn't dug their potatoes yet, but there was so much snow the ground never froze, and they were able to dig them through out the winter and spring and they kept fine.
Good to know about the potatoes have lots in the garden.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Dad talks about a year where they got snowed under and maybe got 30 acres off. Must’ve been late 50’s early 60’s as they were running a 27 Massey.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Been fortunate to get all the crop off in the wet years so hoping the same again this year. I think it was 2015 we got to 27 or 28c around October 28 and were working on barley fighting mud. Finished my barley on Tuesday but lots of cereals and canola still out here, I would guess guys are 50% done and cereals are pretty flat. I will take a guess and say canola will come off first and cereals won't come off if the weather doesn't improve. Hoping for freeze drying so I can get on mustard, seeds were still soft and squishy yesterday. It occurred to me that this year resembles 2010 which marked the start of the wet cycle here. We seeded through pretty much every slough that spring and then it started raining in mid June. We started peas and it really started raining that fall and got around 8" of rain before we gave up on that field of peas we started, finished that field in mid November but wasn't pretty - swathed peas were wet and some snow here and there but got them off. Seems that pattern has moved east about 400 miles now. No mud here this year, combining everything including the sloughs but just can't get any drying weather so hoping frost will do it now. Wonder if I should ask if guys were given a choice of weather anomaly would they want their farming to be too wet or too dry.

Also interesting to note that 59/60 was end of wet cycle here. Mid 50s were very wet here. Dad remembers 55-56 being extremely wet. Lots of flooding in Sask 53-56.

·
Registered
500 Posts
You can fight wet , with snow your beat .
So far extremely lucky in the North
Lots get done this weekend .
Think 1986 or some year it snowed a foot on October 16 and stayed till April yuk .
Hopefully you guys get going again .......

·
Premium Member
8,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the goose is cooked. Wow what a blizzard
Yes it's getting really bad, can't see across the yard now. The US forecast is saying up to 30" now for a storm total.

Of course my loader is at the back of the shed behind the grain cart...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Cant see out my windows so here's view from my front door as of now. Anyone got a strong back? I think theres going to be some shoveling I'm my future...

I have a hunch that it might be here to stay. Hope I'm wrong.

20191011_183349_1570837115059.jpg 20191011_183406_1570837201061.jpg

1 - 20 of 49 Posts