The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We do not have the silencer kit (top strand rollers) on the 6088. In heavy feeding wheat the chain bangs a little which I think is from it bouncing. The Case guys at Louisville last year said with the spring loaded tensioner we don't need the top rollers but I'm thinking we will put them in. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey goalie, hope everything is going as good as can be.
When I was in Louisville I met the the guy that 'invented' the silencer , he told me that since he invented it . It would probably never be a factory option as long as he was alive! but if it was invented inside the CNH logo it would have been a factory option! IMO I will always have one . I find it very forgiving for the proper adjustment. I have a 6088 coming , my thoughts are the it will be more important to have it with the new 'spring loaded adjuster' .
Just make sure to locktite the set screws had one come lose once and jump the sprocket! have had at least 5 of them. They do not eliminate wear but greatly reduce it imo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Goalie, Parksy, what is it the "silencer kit"? Some picture, link, address? What does that do? The feeder on my new 6088 was noisy this season, would be interested if there is some kit to reduce this anoying voice and wear. Thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The silencer is a set of rollers that mount inside the feeder under the top strand of the feeder chain. Axial flow product support kits book actually calls it feeeder rollers. Part No. B95753. In that book the silencer kit is a liner for the feeder floor but everyone seems to refer to the rollers as the silencer kit. At least around here they do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Morning Goalie, The roller silencer is a must in the "non spring loaded" feeder houses. I am sure, without documentation, that the silencer will maintain better chain adjustment and increase the life of the chain 50%. I am approaching 1500 hrs on my chain since I put the silencer in my 2388. I also think the 2162 Draper has made the feeding so much easier on the chain. I can't remember the last time I heard it bang. It is so easy to install. This will be some of the better $$$ you spend on this machine.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Billy, I have it in the 2588. The 6088 has the spring loaded feeder but I think I'll put it in.

How's the sun? And the scenery? Don't let your eyes wander too much. Eyes ahead Billy! Billy!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have searched the parts book but did not find anything similar to what you have described. I might be blind... Also the part no is "unknown". Would you have some picture of it or different part no? Thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That No. came from the Product Support Kits book 07/08 edition.I believe it is actually a kit number and not a part number, if there's a difference. It doesn't show up in the online parts catalogue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are they not called Black Max idlers, or something like that anyway, we ran them in our 1688's, 2388, and 2588, worth every penny.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That was my question to them also. Why not just put it in at the factory? They seem to want to sell it as a kit after you buy the machine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I followed this thread earlier in the year.Our 08 2388 had always had a terrible feeder noise so I checked it out and found lots of wear, the chain had cut deep grooves in the box behind the top sprockets. I made inquires about this kit with our dealer and Case UK but neither had any knowledge of it. One has never been sold in UK. They seemed to think it would be fitted by Case if it was necessary and wanted to charge top dollar if I wanted one from the US. So none in Europe either!

I ordered one from Abilene Machine and fitted it with the predrilled holes could not have be easier.

The results are amazing. Quite and from the little we have combined with it up to now I think it feeds better too.

Why are Case keeping it a secret?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Cuts down on warranty costs when you fire the poly sheets through the combine. Really they basically tell you if you're running your feeder chain too tight or not.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just dont understand why Case drill the holes in the feeder house then make no effort to sell the kit or even educate its staff and dealers here in UK that it exists.

Our dealer seemed to be very worried about the difficulty in fitting the kit. He did not know the holes would already be in the feederhouse.

That nearly put me off buying one till I found out on here they had been predrillrd from 03 and saw the dummy bolts in the holes.

Just seems odd. Perhaps there is more money in replacement feeder chain than silencer kits but that brings me back to why drill the holes?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts