The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have thier second pickup belt twist on them? It's not easy to get it straight again. There is canola warped on one of the shafts but it is not easy to get at it to remove it. Just wondering if there is a easier way to get it off without removing the belts. Service manager said they have this problem quite often no easy way to fix it. Tried tightening one side and loosening the other on either side didn't make any difference. He mentioned taking the plastic strips that hold the belts together off to let the belts move independently.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
By "second belt", do you mean the one without the plastic teeth on it?? Or are you talking about the second belt in from one side?

Never had the smooth belt twist, but I can see it happening. Have tried straightening the front belts a few times. Finally just left it.

Andrew

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the smooth one it's not getting better today but supposto rAin tomorrow I will have time to take it apart then. Trying to avoid taking the belt apart because the bolts spin and its hard to get the nuts off. I haven't been running it don't know how long this has bee happening.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Sometimes it is easier to get the bolts undone if your turn the canvass until the bolts are pushing on the roller. Sometimes not....

Try the center plastic strips as per the service manager. If there are many bolts turning, it may be easier to just cut the plastic strips with a cut-off wheel. Fair bit quicker too!

Andrew

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read the book!! said twisting is due to over tightening the springs, loosened it off an now all is good thanks. ( service manager said to tighten it up tighter than spec)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think you need to run them "looser". The tightening indicater should only just come up to the washer. Any tighter and they can twist up. Never had an issue in many years with running them a bit on the loose side.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
One thing you will find if you look close is that where the roller that moves with tightener sits on the slide of 3 bolts, it is likely worn down so that it really cant slide anymore. Needs new parts there. Both my 615s need both sides replaced.

So they are twisting because one side is tighter. May appear like the springs are same but the wear notches may skew it all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts