The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the opportunity to demo a 735fd this fall and was very impressed.
Was wondering about the older models of the 600fd. Any good or spend the big $?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
700’s have a full length larger diameter cross auger on the 40/45’s and the canvasses can be flipped when the front side gets wore or damaged.
600’s the 35’has full length auger. The 40/45’ essentially have a 35’ auger. The 16’ and newer likely work every bit as good as the 700’s if you don’t need the cross auger. 16’ have better reel fingers, smaller forward drum for better feeding and new style crop dividers. 14’s had some improvements on the slip clutch and center feed drum. 12/13’s I wouldn’t call them lemons, though some might.
If your combine has fore/aft tilt I’d go with the JD. If not you might lean Macdon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Our 640fd is either a 13 or 14. I don't like it. Had it for 4 seasons and it has had so many sensor issues I can't even use the ahhc half the time. Then the sickle has to be retuned every season or it will start breaking guards and sickles just from running. Not from hitting obstacles. Then we upgraded to a s780 this year from a s680 and soon realized that the reel was drifting and not staying where we put it. There is an upgrade kit for the earlier heads for the s700 series so it will stay where you put it. Little things just add up with this head. When it all works it has really good performance but it doesn't work on all cylinders half the time. Were gonna upgrade to either a 740fd or some other brand.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Have a 13 and a 14. Same potentiometers JD has been using for years. S aeries combines is easy to tell which ones are out of adjustment and or need to be fooled to calibrate.
We got caught when removing heads to clean out dirt that the auto reel resume would be checked afterwards so reel would change position. I do believe the 14 is different from a 13 also with the fore and aft cylinders. Fore and aft creeping is minor, we grew accustomed to it with the 635f’s

The knife problems described above are something I haven’t heard of. How do you tune the knife every year? JD knife is very good in my opinion. Week point in my opinion is lentils we’ll get some buildup at the overlap in the center.

·
Registered
148 Posts
We have not had a single sensor issue on our 2 - 2017 635FD over 3 years. Not counting the small onbjects that will jam the drapers from underneath. Remove the rock or small piece of wood reset the draper speed in control and off you go. The tilting faceplate really improves these heads on the combines from 2016 on. Solid impressive heads especially if you also have the lateral tilt feeder house set and forget mostly. Will scrape rhe crop off the ground. Have not run a 700 series head yet , would not expect much difference from ours, The reel is not as good as a MacDon the the auto control is better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know how to retune it myself. Just have had the dealer come out and do it. The reason we do it is because the same exact sickle sections and guards were breaking within one round of replacing them. Total waste of time and money replacing them! Pissed me off!!! The dealer just said that at the end of the season the dual knife drives need to be retuned so they sync up better and cause less vibration and rubbing.

This header may also just be a sour grape.
But our dealer just keeps telling us that those sensors are stupid to deal with. Seriously the amount of time we've spent setting these sensors is ridiculous. And after hour 2 we usually say f*** it let's roll with out it. Then after the dealer messed with the wiring harness in the split in the reel they didn't secure it right and it got tangled in the reel and it got destroyed. Still haven't fixed that because thats gonna take awhile. Like I said if you've got a good one your golden but mine hasn't been good. I think the new ones have definitely been better though. I just hate to give them more money for a header that MIGHT have fixed the issues.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Your dealer should have automatically installed the "reel f/a check valve update" on your pre-'16 heads when you got the newer combine. JD moved the check valve from the combine to the header after 2015. Dealers are supposed to know and deal with that when switching.

This has cause all sorts of problems for any aftermarket heads, used heads, etc.

I'm having a hard time believing your AHHC sensors are the actual problem..we deal with lots of those heads and very seldom see problems with the sensors. Either somebody is not installing or adjusting them right, or there is other problems that are "getting blamed on the sensors. If you could post some details on the type of problems, I may be able to advise. I mean, what errors is your combine throwing....are they "out of range" errors, or what?

·
Registered
245 Posts
We just traded our 2013 635fd for a 740fd. We didn’t have many issues wit it at all. Last year we completely re hilt it with all new guards and sections. We then replaced all the Draper belts with aftermarket ones. The only real issue we have had is one roll speed sensor went bad. We do around 1700 a year with that head.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I started year with brand new 745fd. Thing loaded up with straw inside canvasses terrible. Not a fan of the fluffing it did either as crop was on canvases. Quite the ordeal to removed debris from canvasses. Spoke to tthe guys who had fd75 locally and before bean harvest started I traded it back in on a fd145. I prefer it over the deere head. Had a couple friends do the same thing this year also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts