The Combine Forum banner

656 Farmall

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  wheatwhacker 
#1 ·
I have our 656 Farmall in the shop for its annual spa treatment and massage and found water in the hydralic/transmission system. My question is are there any spots that develop cracks where water can get into the system or other points that may loosen up and let water in? My first thought is to check the dipstick tube and dipstick itself for leaks as it seems the most obvious point that water may get in. Put it in the shop just before I came home so I have not actually looked for the problem yet so any ideas would be great.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Not sure exactly how much but it is way over full on the stick with milky looking crap it was not pretty. I have not seen exactly how much ended up in the pails as I pulled the plugs then left but I am going to guess maybe as much as a couple gallons extra.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Engine oil is good. It was not just air in the oil it was not foamy at all it was milky looking on the dipstick when I checked it before I started it and got it out of cold storage and everything I saw come out was completely milky white. Filter gasket is good it is on the side of the case and would make a **** of a mess if it was leaking.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
We try to keep it inside when we can but it spends a fair bit of time outside. Radiator is full. After draining everything it looks like there was about a quart of clear water in the bottom of the bucket and it looks like the system has about an extra gallon total in the system. The oil looked about like taking half a cup of coffee and filling the other half with creamer. The tractor has never had this happen before to my knowledge. I put a new oring on the dipstick and cleaned the dirt out around the dipstick tube thinking maybe it was not allowing rain to get away and letting it seep into the dipstick tube. Got sidetracked on another project today and did not get the floor plate off to see if I can see any noticeable issues on the top of the case.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Breather is a good idea I will check that. It does not do any jobs where it just gets to sit and idle. It used to idle more when we used it on the augers but it is a little small for the newer augers even then it never had any noticeable moisture in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.