The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for any help!

I'll try and keep it brief - I grew up in small grain country in NW ND - did a fair amount of combining back in the 70's with IH equipment - fast forward to 2014 - I do custom wildlife habitat establishment and enhancement for a living - we have some relatively large (large for plots anyway) food plots that we will want to combine parts of - have been given a 6600 by my brother-in-law that they don't use any longer - found and purchased a 444 head for it.

Here's my question - the 6600 has only been used on small grains with a pickup header - what do I need to do to set it up for corn?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
377 Posts
I don't have a 6600, but a 4420 which is just smaller. First you really should find an owners manual or a PDF on the internet to learn more about it and the confusing things about to say.

Important things off the top of my head to switch it to corn:

The feederhouse drum will need to be raised, the directions to do this should be on a sticker on the left and right side of the feederhouse.

The bottom elevator doors should be changed to ones with holes (may not be necessary)

The large hoses under the cab should be hooked together to loop around the hydraulic fluid since the corn head doesn't use those.

Open that concave up, slow it down to about 350rpm while its running. Open sieves up, speed up fan.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Do you have variable speed feeder house? I don't know if all 6600's do? If so, the reel lift cylinder circuit is what actuates the variable speed adjuster. And on the right side of the feeder house, the long chain that drives the feeder chain gets switched over to the other sprocket at the bottom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.