The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught this nice 6600 near Conway,Texas cutting milo.He also had a 4020 pulling the grain cart.There was a 7700 with him,but it was gone before I got there.I cut my teeth driving an old '78 JD 6600,one of the better combines John Deere has ever made.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The grain cart is a 400bushel Big12.The 4020 does have a cab,but as any milo cutter knows,it itches no matter what you try to do to stop it.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
A Big 12, I should have known. Spent quite a few days unloading into and pulling one. Weren't they manufactured in Lubbock?

·
Registered
590 Posts
The answer is yes.

Not to be a smartass, all you do is engage the unloading augar. It will pull down the engine which means the operator will have to slow ground speed. Back in the 1960's when I was a kid, my dad would be running the 55 and I was on a 3010 with a 100 bushel augar wagon and we unloaded on the go all the time. So, if a 55 can unload on the go, anything can if operated accordingly. A 6600 or 7700 has a lot more horsepower than a 55 and would handle it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well thats what I thought but a friend who I used to run with had an old 7700, and he said It would not. I knew that Horsepower wasnt a problem having a turbocharged 404, but I did know the unloading system with all the spider gears seemed a little delicate compared to the 8820 that I was running. I guess with the lever engagement anyone could feather it to full unloading speed without shocking the auger drives. It took some time to get used to the flick of a switch and not easing the unloading system on with my first 9600 on the go. THanks

·
Registered
590 Posts
Did you find the 55 here in California or are you from back east, too? We just sold our 55s in June to a safe home. See my post in the FOR SALE section under "55 with a spare". Ours were late models, but my dad run them from 1949 until 1994, then went straight to the 9400, skipped all the 00 & 20s. It is quite a shock to just flip the switch and all that HP hitting the system. Every once in a while, like maybe once every two years, I forget to have the engine speed in low position and hit the machine switch, man that hurts.

I should qualify my answer on the 7700. I have run 7700s and 8820s and did not see any reason you could not engage the unloading augar, but never unloaded on the go. There may be something I don't know about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts