The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have run a 6620 combine the last 15 years on small acreage. Overall, we have been real pleased with machine except the feeder house reverser. We have been through 3 of them. The last one installed by Deere made it 600 acres and we never used the reverser because we were paranoid about tearing it up! The lower sheaves gradually work themselves away from the gear case. Anybody else had this problem and is there a solution? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
With both pulleys off of shaft there will be a groove cut in the sheave that inner pulley slides over. That groove is for a small ball which resembles a bearing ball that drops in inner pulley and sets in that groove, then there are two set screws that go down on top of ball to hold it in place which keeps inner pulley from working outward. Be sure mechanics are putting that ball down in set screw hole first before putting set screws in. Without the ball, the set screws wont hold pulley in place for very long and the pulleys will "vibrate" outwards. Also be sure groove is not wore out and ball has no where to set.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Also Apply PM37509 Cure Primer to shaft and sheave bore. Apply 5 mm (3/16 in.) wide bead of PM37485 Retaining Compound (Maximum Strength) 360 degrees around the shaft from face of reverser . Also apply a bead to inside bore of sheave at dimension from sheave face. This is the sheave that has the ball, setscrew and rollpin that slides on the shaft..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies - I haven't got a chance to tear it apart yet as we have a few acres to go and hopefully it will make it. I reviewed my maintenance records and the last time it was done by Deere they replaced the inner sheave because it was worn, but not the outer. Any chance that could be contributing to the problem?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would look at the input gear for the reverser, the inner sheave slides onto it and is held in place by a steel ball and set screws on one side and a roll pin on the other side. A previous post mentioned the loctite procedure for the assembly. If the slots for the steel ball or roll pin are worn then you will have the trouble you are describing.

jd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts