The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started losing power today when under heavy load with turbo 6620 combine. Has fresh fuel filters, cleaned out sediment bowls, and replaced fuel pump under the fuel tank. Did not help. I noticed that I don't hear the "clicking" up in the cab when I turn the key on I like I use to. When I go by the tank I hear the pump making a clicking noise but it is not as loud as before. Sorry for the long post, but thought someome might have experienced this before. thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sometimes cleaning out the sediment bowl is not enough. Years ago on our 8820 we had the same problem, and had done what you did...change filters, clean sed bowl , etc. A guy who was helping us at that time said he'll fix the problem in a short time. What we had to do is unscrew the sediment bowl housing, and while I was standing there with my finger on the tank as for the diesel not to pour out, he cleaned the housing out with air. Sure as heck there was a small piece of chaff in the orfice of the housing. He said it was a common problem on these series. Never the less it ran like a charm after that. Have you ever forgot to put on the fuel cap? Check the gasket in the fuel cap also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem Solved! Thanks everyone - you were right on! I took off the filter bowl under the tank and even though the screen and bowl were clear, there was a piece of corn chaff in the orifice. Cleaned in out and off I went. The strange part about the whole thing was that before I cleaned the orifice out, it was acting like there was air in the system. The bowls were full of bubbles as well as the fuel filters - so I was convinced I had an air leak and not a fuel block, but I guess one leads to another?

·
Registered
200 Posts
the pump can draw air past the gasket on the bowl when it is not getting fuel in it. had the same thing happen to me last week. thought it was the relay for the pump at first, but turned out to be a bit of junk inside the screen cage in the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts