The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a neighbor complaining about hard steering on his 6620 titan II. It has the heavy axle and 14.9-24 tires. He has changed hyd filter, hyd pump and relief valve. We also changed steering hand meter pump with a used one. We don't known what to try next. thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
About the only thing left is the lines and the steering cylinder. I'm not sure if a cylinder was leaking internally if it would be hard to steer (hard to turn the wheel) or not steer at all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have had a hydraulic hose collapse internally on a disc once. Was a real bugger to diagnose the problem, it looked fine on the outside. Looking in the service manual there are about a dozen hoses in the 6620 with heavy rear axle steering system. Did he install the correct pump? Its a two stage pump. A heavy rear axle takes a different hydraulic pump and steering motor than a regular axle. Your going to have to find someone with a gauge set or flow meter and a set of hydraulic adapter fittings and start at the pump and work your way back until you find the restriction. Also does the steering wheel physically turn hard or do the wheels just not respond? If they do not respond I would check for a bypassing cylinder. There are a couple bearings in the steering column to but that would have been easy to check when you had the steering motor off. Good Luck and let us know when you find the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts