The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought what appeared to be a decent 6620 combine. The guy finally delivered it last week, pulled it off the truck and parked it in our field. I went over the next morning to move it, and I can't get the transmission to go in to gear. The transmission fluid light is on, but I can't seem to find where to put fluid in. My mechanic said that it is usually the cables sticking, but when I disconnected it, the cable moves quite freely. The lever will move left to right, but not up or down. Any ideas?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Is it a std or hydro? Its been a long time since I've been around a 20 series combine. Normal for trans light to be on until you start driving. Lube pump drives of trans so only pumps when moving. Shifting was always tight on them. If I remember you had to turn the shifter knob to shift but that might only be on a std to get it into reverse.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The cable is probably froze up. I've replaced them numerous time on 6600, 7700, and 7720's. With the combines variable speed selector in neutral you can put it in gear from underneath, but be very careful. You can find the cables at just about any combine salvage yard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a hydro, but there is a 4 speed manual transmission (but no clutch) ahead of the hydro. The cable is not froze up, I disconnected it at the transmission, and the cable moves freely. The lever on the back of the transmission where the cable attaches wiggles slightly, but will not move into a gear. Thanks for all your responses!
Chuck

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with ken's suggestion. They can be a bit hard to shift at times. Its also possible something is out of adjustment on the side to side cable. I believe it will lock out the forward and back cable if its not fully in 1 gear or the other. It is normal for the light to be on when the combine is not moving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your responses. I had my mechanic come out and take a look at it...he said that it would be a simple fix. Apparently there is a little ball that a spring pushes into detents to hold it into gear. He said the ball was worn down enough that it wouldn't pop out of the detent. He said it would be the cheapest fix that I would ever have, but it's not done yet and I haven't gotten the bill.
Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.