The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone explain to me the major differences between the jd 6620, 7720, and 8820? if im not mistaken, at one point they were all produced in the same year. also, which of these models had the "titan II" and what did that mean? im in the market for a smaller and cheaper combine, so any help is appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
They were all made at the same time from 1979? on TitanII were a later series of the original 20 series machines .6620machines were 4or 6 row corn head machines .7720were 6and 8 row .8820 were 8 row and late in the production run 12 row. All had good reps as dependable machines ,but they are machines reliability depended on who had owned them firstand their mantance .

·
Registered
305 Posts
The titan 1 series was made up to around 1984 when they switched to Titan 11. With the switch was a good price increase, painted cab tops green instead of yellow, and speeded everything up to advertise faster, more capacity harvesting than the titan 1. But most shafts, bearings and motors were identical to Titan 1, so, if you crammed a Titan 11 all the time you paid the price for it.

The Titan 1 series saw a significant improvement in '83 with a heavy duty rear axel, which was a weak sister in earlier models especially side hill models. They produced the heavy axel on into the Titan 11 series. Sidehill model designs didn't change from 1 to 11 series, and, they had final drive problems. SH Owners soon learned to tear down finals regularly every couple of seasons, and replace upper bearings and drive chains, while closely inspecting bull and spur gears and R&R, to prevent problems. When everything was leveling and working right, it is great machine in the hills, and will do a faster, better job than any 7720. Lots of em still in operation today, and in their day, they were very popular around here.

Deere didn't make a side hill option for the 7720 or 8820.

Parts, service, and dealer support is still avail everywhere even though those girls are approaching 30 years old. Just proves their popularity. You should be able to buy a late model Titan 1 SH with heavy axel 6620 under $10,000. Take off $3000 if it is a level lander.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The only thing they sped up was the shoe. Most people including us installed the drive sprocket off a Titan I to slow it back down and that eliminated most problems. The shoe is also 6 inches longer on the Titan II series.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The 6620 had a 45" wide separator, 7720 a 55" wide, and 8820 was 65" wide. Someone may correct those numbers with more accuracy! We ran 77's and 88's together, both ran the same speed with 24' on 7720's and 30' on 88's. TITAN II's were built from 85 to 88, I believe the shoe was a little longer and ran faster. We slowed ours down before the machines shook apart. We couldn't see the advantage to the faster shoe speed. I think from 79 to 81 the 88's had a 200hp engine, in 82 I think they were bumped to 225hp. We ran several of these from 1979 to 1991, they were good reliable machines. To bad the engine wasn't on the back!

·
Registered
16 Posts
4455 ,didnot know a 5 row head was ever made .learn something new.I still run a 7720 and 8820 along side a 9860.They are still great machines .

·
Registered
528 Posts
yep that 5 row is 545 i would post some pics of it but i dont know how to put the pics from my cell phone to the puter.. and the only other 5 row head ive seen is my friends that they used to run on a gleaner

·
Registered
1 Posts
dimensions about John Deere 8820.

I want to buy combine harvester John Deere 8820, but the transport need dimensions.
Please someone can tell me about the dimensions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I live in the boonies of Thailand. We've converted two 643 heads, one into a 5 row and one into a 4 row. Amazing what these Thai farmers can do with a torch and a welding machine. 4 row used on a 6620, 5 on a 9500 all done because of access problems down narrow paths through villages. We cut 5" off the ladder and platform on the 6620 for the same reason.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts