The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just finished the our second year of beans with the 6620. Now that the comfort level with the machine is up, I have 2 questions about the 220 head.

1. The head osculates up and down about every second 4 or 5 inches regardless of the auto-height setting. It looks like the combine is nodding it's head as it goes across the field. I've been told it's normal, but I don't think so. It misses some of the low beans every few feet when it comes up.

2. This may be related to the first problem, and it seems I'm the only one annoyed by this. When you reach the end of the row, and raise the head, if you don't turn off the auto-height the head will drift down. This means you need to either keep pulling the head up, or turn off the height control until you get back to the rows.

Regardless of the head, the machine performed flawlessly this year.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You need to check the adjustments of the header height control system. Start with the length of the chain from the feederhouse to the control valve under the cab. Check your operators manual for other adjustments. The header height control should automatically shut off when you raise the header up 15 - 18 inches. It should drift down by itself below that height. The operators manual gives a very good explanation of all of this.

Mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
markat,
thanks, I didn't see it in the manual but I will check again. I was looking for the problem on the head, didn't think to go further back, doh.

Tom,
It does have an accumulator, and the valve is open. Does the accumulator get charged (nitrogen maybe), similar to a front end loader with ride control? When it bounces up it comes up pretty hard.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Do you have a accumulator on it, that will be on the right side behind the front axle. Its about one gallon size and has a shutoff valve and line that comes from the feeder house lift cylinders, the accumulator takes the bounce out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts