The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed 55 watt xenon bulbs/ballast kits in our 8020 tractors, our 9030 tractors and our 4830 sprayer. They all perform flawlessly.
Our 8020 tractors each had factory xenon up front. I replaced four halogen bulbs in the rear with xenon. I did the same to our 9030 tractors. And on the sprayer I did two on the hood and two on the cab roof. I can't get over how much brighter these lights are than halogen. I think a 55watt xenon has like 5 times the output in lumens than a 55 watt halogen.
The xenons actually use less amperage than the halogens except on startup. Xenon bulbs require an arc to ignite the pressurized xenon gas. I think the 55 watt xenons take 8 or 9 amps to start, then 3-4 amps to run.
But on 70 series combines I have ran into a problem. I am wanting to switch out the two outer halogens on the cab with the hid's. The middle ones are factory hid's, and the inner ones I want to leave halogen as they are used on the road. Either the computer senses a problem and won't let the outside xenons turn on, or there is an electrical deficiency at the ballast.
My guess is that four xenon ballasts draw too many amps to start all at the same time.
Is there any way to switch the two outer lights to another circuit so they can be turned on separate? I was thinking about switching the rearward facing lights with the outer cab ones. I don't know if all of the wiring harnass and wires are routed to the same point and I don't know the cc#s. And I don't care if the "cab switch" turns on lights in the back and vice-versa, I use em all anyway, I could just use more candles up front.
Any ideas???

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
The 70 series has solid state relays in the power modules that senses amps on a load, if there is no amps or to much it will shutoff. They do not use fuses because of this. So that is why you can not get the field lights to work on that circuit with the Xenon lights.

·
Registered
26 Posts
try the 35 watt HID kits instead of a 55w HID. I add 35w VVME HID kits on all the inner and outer lights on our 9670s to match the factory HID lights and have no problems. The 35W kits run at about 3.8 amps but the 55w kits run closer to 8 amps. Worst case setup a relay and run a separate power source for your lights that arnt working.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Had the same issue with HID's before it all has to do with voltage drop. Check your voltage at the terminals with all four on & it may be low (approx 11V). Alot of ballasts dont ignite at that voltage so swap them out with ones off ebay with a voltage range between 7.5V to 18V. Let me know how it goes!

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
I replaced all SIX of the factory halogens on the roof with 55w HID kits and I have no problem. The only time the computer ever shuts them off is when someone turns them on without the engine running. HID draw less amps once they are ignited but draw quite a bit for the first 2-3 seconds during startup. You might have a bad ballast that is drawing too many amps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts