The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble with moisture sensor stalling. I dropped down the grain tank loading auger took off the top plunger and cleaned every bit of debris from inside the plunger shaft. I put back together, turned on combine. Plunger will cycle three strokes and then the "plunger stalled" message will pop up in the command center.
I tried cycling the engine on and off several times. It always quits after the third stroke. By the way, the thing is not mechanically stalled, it will extend all the way and then quit. What the heck is going on??

·
Registered
400 Posts
you should check to see if you have the newer heavy duty actuator motor. the early MY08 70 series still had the smaller motor. if you are going to install the new plunger, which i also recommend, you will need to change the motor.
the new motor is larger and longer and looks like this

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would bet that the circuit board inside that has the relays on it is bad. The citcuit board has a position sensor on it to tell where the plunger is at. I have had many go bad and cause the same problem.

Also I would highly recommend installing the new style moisture plunger kit in it as well. The new style is a rubber "flap" that helps wipe the walls as it cycles. The plunger kit is aroung $45 and the circuit board is around $250. You have to remove the motor and circuit board to install the plunger kit anyway so I would replace it then. The kit has instructions on how to install the kit. It is all very simple.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the problem. The round magnet at the base of the actuator had a chunk missing out of it. I found the missing chunk and glued it back in again. Good as new again.
I updated to the new style plunger while I had it apart.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just a thought also on the newer machines you can set the frequency (times per minute) the plunger takes a sample. With this new plunger that rubber seal will be a wearing part, setting that frequency as low as you want (1 or 2 times per minute) should help you get longer life without much trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts