The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these machines are capable of great things but it can get very frustrating trying to set your new combine so I thought "wouldn't it be nice to have a thread for each combine model that I could check to see how other guys are setting theirs to save me a lot of time and stress". So hopefully this thread will take off and can be used by all guys when they are looking for some ballpark settings. Name the crop, crop condition, yield, harvest condition, ground speed, rotor, concave setting and type, fan, pre-sieve, lower sieve, top sieve, etc. Who knows, maybe this thread will help you out one day...... Maybe a 8120 and 2388/2588/6088/7088 thread will take off too. I know it would be a great help to us all at one point or another.

I'll start off with my canola settings:

Crop was swathed, dry, no green, 45ish bu/ac.
Rotor 520, Fan 650, Small wire concaves, Concave around 15-20, Pre-Sieve at 2, Lower Sieve 5, Top Sieve 7, ground speed 4-5mph. No Rotor Loss, Sieve loss acceptable up to 4.5mph but too high over that speed. Sample I took to elevator showed 2.8% dockage.

Note I am a Rookie canola grower/combiner so I'm sure settings could be tweaked to increase ground speed but I only had 200 acres to do.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
i was told last year the first year i ran a 7120 in canola was to set fan too 600 preseive to 3 notch, rotor to 600, both top and bottom seives to 6 , concave clearence to 6, and keep combine full, it seamed to work fine in a 40 bu crop

one thing to check if losses are high over seives is the height of rearend of combine. from grain pan with sensor located at back of combine to ground needs to be 58 inches, mine last year was 56 and i had bad loses, found my rear tires needed to be raised to top axle hole to get the required 58inchs and now all is good, area rep gave me the specs

·
Registered
110 Posts
Bussard, did you raise the rear of your combine at the adjustment plates out by wheels or the top hole at the centre axle pivot, my 8010 is in the top hole centre axle pivot but 1 hole down from the top out at wheels. I will measure the gap tomorrow.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Started Corn yesterday. 7120, 3412. Corn 22-25%, 140-160BPA through the flats, 60-70BPA on slopes. A lot of green. Running 3.5-4mph.Feeder running 550, Rotor 340,concaves all round-bars with four concave flaps, open to #20, Rear grates started with skip-wires had to switch back to large-wires. Too many pieces of cobs in sample. Vanes slow over concaves, mid over grates except very rear vane set fast. Four straight bars over 3rd grates, four straight bars and four spikes over 4th grates.Cleaning shoe set at 2% up on right. Fan 900 , Pre-cleaner 3rd notch. Chaffer 16, Sieve 14, Funnels 30% rotor,30% chaffer,100% tailings. No loss showing for rotor, no loss to very little green showing for chaffer, showing about 1/4 of the funnel green on tailings.Spreaders set at 450 rpms. Sample looks good for the condition of the crop.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
yes we raised the combine to the highest hole on the adjustment plates by the wheels, i also increased rear tire pressure a bit to get required 58 inches

area rep said they were to leave factory at 58 inches but some truckers and dealers could have changed tires or positions on adjustment plates..... just measure with tape measure from rear grain pan senor to ground

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm having a tough time getting a good lentil sample with the 7120. Lots of unthrashed pods in the sample. Using small wire concaves, rotor from 400-650, concave 8-20, seives top 16, lower 15. Any help???

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Anybody have some good canola settings for 7120? 45 bpa canola, 30 foot swath at 4.5 mph, no where near machine capacity as far as engine and rotor load. Doesn't seem to be enough cleaning capacity for whats going in the front, or am I at the limit for a 7120?

Current settings: Rotor 600, concave 30, fan 700, pre seive notch 2, top sieve 10, bottom sieve 12, 4 small wire in front 4 large wire in rear

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have an 8010 (08) new to us this year, can get a good sample but losses over chaffer way to high (2-2.5 b/ac) nothing we do seems to help. Followed operators manual on settings. Seems to always blow it over. (does not sluff it over) On a stall there is very little on the seieves and evenly distributed. Not much in retuns. Only way to keep losses acceptable is go slow, (1.8-2.4 mph) in 80-90 b/ac wheat. Was a little better in canola. Very dissapointed 2388 did better. Area Rep said to measure angle of combine 3.5 degrees- ours is right on spec. Never did measure height of chaffer off of the ground will check tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What is your rotor speed and sieve setting. My 8120 in 80-90 bushel winter wheat I had my Concaves at 5-8 depending on how tough my rotor at 1010-1060 rpm top sieve at 15-17 bottom at 9-11. Fan at 960-1030 and pre-sieve at 4-5 notch from top. I run a 45ft 2152 @ 3.5-4.5 mph depending on how much straw I was taking. I maybe had .5 bushel loss. You have to be careful that you don't take to much straw because the grain will ride out witht he straw if you are taking too much material. It is very easy to over-thresh and that will give you alot of loss. Good Luck

·
Registered
561 Posts
Measuring rear height is no help unless you are comparing to a mchine that has the same size front tires...The 3.5 deg is what matters. I would reccomend faster rotor and fan speeds in Canola try both about 800.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
What did you have your fan speed on. I had really bad losses when using the factory fan speeds. I slowed it down to 940-850 and the losses improved greatly.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Make sure you set the sieve offset at -1.5 we have a 7010 set up in the back and a 7120 set down both the same grain loss. We put hard thrashing concaves in and they make a huge differance. Way more capacity. Rethasher runs empty. Mo grain lost. This is in wheat. Some varieties could go right in the drill next year they are so clean.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would make sure that you are losing it over the chaffer, often times rotor loss will show up on the sieve loss monitor. What is your concave setup like? Just from what you described I would first think that you might be holding the wheat in your rotor too long and throwing it out the back. You might be able to spin your rotor faster to seperate it better or you may have to change modules in the seperating area. I guess the first thing I would look at would be if there is grain in your chopper when you do a kill stall that will tell you if it's going out the rotor. Hope this helps, if not let us know.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Tried a 7120 the other day, side by side with our 9795 MF. Power was good, very quiet - no hydro noise. But seive losses were high and feederhouse plugged constantly if I tried to keep up to the Massey. Interesting to see all the Ideas about tire presures and ground clearence to solve sieve loss??? WTH is that, not an issue with the MF in the same feild at all. Plus the unload rate is pathetic on the 7120 - could have a full beer by the time it unloaded.
Note again though, very smooth power but can't use it. It was in canola runnin around 40-45.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
been in the same feild with the 9895 masseys, to say the massey has more is a understatment, a chipped 2388 will take on 9895 and run them down, as for the 71 loss, you need to know how to set them, can be a bit trickey for the beginger

1 - 20 of 33 Posts