The Combine Forum banner

7010 corn settings

7K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  afxit 
#1 ·
I have just started to cut corn with the 7010. I am getting little pieces of cob in grain sample. Corn is 16-18.5 moisture, 180 bushel. Settings: rotor-350, upper sieve-17, lower -14 , concave clearance 3.6, pre-sieve 5th notch, fan 1100. I am also getting a high tailings alarm. What is your sensitivity set to on the tailings sensor? I had no problems with the wheat this summer. I am used to the 88 series. I always had a clean sample. I am sure I have done something wrong. I have played with the settings but can't seem to fix it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Been a while since I was in my 7010...

Is the 5th notch on the pre-sieve open or closed?

I remember having similar trouble last fall with bits of cob and high tailings. I finially did a quick kill and dumped the tailings auger out and it was full of bits of cob... not just a sensor sensitivity issue.

Trying to remember what I had to do... I remember messing around with the sieves and nothing helped so I think I had to close the pre-sieve down. I can remember it being specific to one or two hybrids. I am pretty sure I saved the combine settings for those hybrids in the monitor so I could probably check them tomorrow.

I have a small tube rotor so I am not sure my settings will help you a whole lot. Can't remember if I got it to quit breaking the cob up. I do remember that I also had some trouble with rotor loss because of a few kernels being stuck on bits of busted cob that were going out the back.

In corn I could really care less if I have a fair amount of cob in the tank... as long as I am not throwing it out the back. But I remember the tailings overloading and keeping my ground speed down.

I would try closing the pre-sieve down and then run the fan speed up until you start blowing it out the back and then slow it down a hair.

#5 ·
It's been 11 months since I've sat in my machine too.

I do know that if you mess around with the sieves too much you will fill the cleaning fan up with grain, have you had that happen yet? From what I remember I did it by closing the bottom sieve too much. I think you can also do it by messing around with the pre-sieve. I don't think I've ever filled it up by closing the top sieve too much though. The top sieve is more forgiving than the bottom sieve.

Sometimes you can't help but get some cob in the sample, it could be the variety or the way the corn matured. I've had cob in the sample and after you run it thru the dryer you can't find it.

Is your 7010 a new combine to you? If it is then the dealer mechanic should come out and do a quick kill with you and see how everything looks inside (this will give you some insight into you tailings alarm issue). It's a good learning tool for you and the mechanic. Good luck and post back with the good and the bad.

#7 ·
kansascutter,I've only shelled 130 acres with our new 7010. I have upper sieves at 17 lower at 14 convaves 4.8 fan 980 rotor at 310. The prevsieve is set on the 4th notch counting from the front of combine to the rear. I have been having trouble with cobs in the sample. With the machine set as described, there are still a few cobs, but it is doing a good job with very little returns. What I need is dry weather and a lot less mud!

#8 ·
Can you fellows tell me about the productivity of your 7010? How many bushels per hour can you put into the bin, and at what conditions? I am thinking of ordering a 7120 for next fall delivery. I would like to know how the productivity stacks up in the field as opposed to the salesman's office.

#9 ·
I figured out my return problem. Faulty sensor on the tailings auger. I closed the upper sieve to 12 and got rid of the cobs. Perfect sample now! I actually measured the upper sieve opening and 17 was way to wide. The setting of 12 on mine is 21/32 like the book says not 17! I would suggest checking manually. I have my concaves at 3.8 now. It is a perfect sample. I am running 5.8 mph in 155 bushel corn at 16.5% moisture with no loss.

#11 ·
No, I am running a 8 row drago. The combine will handle much more, it is just a preference. We are still on dryland, we haven't cut any irrigated corn yet, still to wet. Our irrigated should be 185-225 bushel I hope, then we will see more what it can do. The drago corn head will handle more speed but 6 mph is fast enough to keep 2 semi's busy. When we get to the irrigated we will get out another truck. I am only running 70% on engine load.

#12 ·
I was at the Farm Science Review. Case had a 8120 with a 12 row . It had 3 large-wire concaves and 3 skip-wire concaves. To remove the small cobs they replaced some of the rasp-bars with straight bars. 2 straight bars over #2 concave, 2 over #3, 2 over #4. Total of six straight bars.Pre-cleaner was 4 th notch from closed.

#13 ·
One thing to remember with the tailings alarm is that there really isn't a sensitivity setting, what you are adjusting is at what point you want the alarm to go off. When you think you are setting the sensitivity to say 50% you are really setting off the alarm at 50%. To me this is not very obvious and a** backward of what case has done in the past.

#14 ·
I had the same problem when running the 8010 after years with 66 and 88. Ended up running concave closer to 8, and I do believe the book says to run it a lot wider than a 88. Me being used to the 88 thought the 8010 would work with the same settings, but it doesn't. Round bar concaves are also an excellent investment. A lot less cob and crop damage and say good bye to concaves plugging in wet conditions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.