The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't get a mud hog for a 7010(they can't get motors for them)
Suggestions on dual spacing.
Have 20.8x42 duals on 30" centers.
Tire guy says an axle extension to move both sets out on top of the next row would help alot except for stubble damage. Or should just one of the duals be moved out to get more spacing between. Have never had duals plug up yet by the way. Have 540/65R30 on the rear so putting a 18.4x30 would only gain me 2" in tire size and 1" in height. Tire guy also said move the rears in or out so they don't follow the duals by being in the rut all the time.What do you think?

·
Registered
809 Posts
At one time I had a combine that came from the factory with a narrow rear wheel axle setup, the narrow wheels ran inside of the front tire ruts..........bad idea.........one wheel or the other would slide over into the rut anyway and the combine would go sideways until I was out of the mud.

·
Banned
469 Posts
Pivotrock,

I'm going to agree with Midwest. You need to run the rear tires on the inside dual track. I run my combine that way with no problems. Don't under estimate the stubble damage if your going between the duals. Remember, that salesman probably never run a combine before or had to pay for a new set of tires on them either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Makes sense on the rear tire. What do you think of moving outside dual out more to eliminate plugging with mud>

·
Banned
469 Posts
Pivotrock,

I've cut ruts a half mile long before and never plugged the duals. I'm sure you won't have any problems. My duals are fixed on 30". What kind are yours that the can be adjusted to a wider spacing?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They can't be adjusted,would need new wheel or a spacer to move it out.Heard this would help.
What about putting 620x42's on instead of the 20.8's I have on. Would this carry better?

·
Registered
148 Posts
why not try 710/42 duals or 800/38 dual. You would leave a lot less tracks, go anywhere you want, carry the wieght a lot better for less compaction, make it easier for the guys doing tillage, and it would be a lot less stress on the combine. We have 710/38 duals on our 9760 and 800/38 duals on our 9870 and we wouldn't give them up for any thing. I will drive trough just as much as a track combine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would there be that big a difference between 620x42 and 710x42 duals?What is the spacing between your tires? Do you run between the rows? I have an 8R30 corn head.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Every inch on a tire counts and we run a 8 row 30 inch on our combine with the 710/38 and it works perfect. There is about 10 inches between the duals and the main tire actually straddles the rows and the outside dual drives over the outside rows. We measured our 800/38 duals and they would fit behind a 8 row head and there is 12 inches between the 800/38 duals. The diffrence between a 620 and a 710 is about 3 to 4 inches depending on the brand of tire and even 3 inches on 4 tires is a total of 12 extra inches of tire which is a big diffrence.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wow three weeks that is a lot to wait, when we were dealing on diffrent tires for our combine when it got wet in 2004 we were dealing on either 710/38 duals or triples and we went with the duals because the triples put a lot of leverage in the final drives and the guy we bought the duals from was just out on a combine that had triples on and it got stuck in the mud and when they pulled it out backwards they ripped the final drive of one side so that is why we went with the duals over the triples. Also if you have any really wet mucky ground like we have or if your having any trouble with the duals plugging up it will be worse when you have the duals and the triples plugged up. But I will say that if I had to wait three weeks for the 710/38 duals I would most likely put the triples on becuase I would get to impatiant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts