The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble getting the Tailings level down to where it should be. Doing dry Barley but the straw is still a little wet. Gonna try closing the pre-sieve from notch 3 down to 2 and closing the upper sieve. Am I on the right track ? What is everyone running their sensitivity at on their Tailings funnel monitor ? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We are running 8010. Set pre-sieve at 4 or 5. Our sensitivity is at 40 for tailings. Don't worry too much about it. There have been problems with tailing sensors. What is your concave set at and rotor speed? Where are you from Red Deer?

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Basically, if you start plugging your tailings you need to do something! Don't try to fix a threshing problem with a rethresher if you are getting heads in the graintank.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not sure that the problem in barley would be the same as in rice but there are a couple of owners of 8010 combines in Arkansas who solved their tailings-plugging issues by installing the Air Flow Control kit. Watch a video of the kit by going to www.newhollandrochester.com and clicking on the Air Flow link. Send me a message if you want to contact the rice operators and I'll provide the contact information so you can compare notes with them

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
i run a 7120 and put over 200 hrs on it so far, tailings have not been a problem, you want to thres on the the rotor better would be my guess so it never makes it to the tailings, fast tighter, will do the better job threshing so it never makes it back to tailings

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
We had this last year in high yeild Canola (70bu) and Wheat (120bu). The sieve would overload and the returns would go into the tank. The fan would plug and fill with grain. Case said open the bottom sieve and it got worse. They found that the combine chaffer sieve was the corn one at 1 5/8 and we now put in a 1 1/8 small grains one. A $1000 touch and hope it works.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
what does your tailings plug with? chaff, clean grain, or heads? if its grain, open the presieve and bottom sieve. if its chaff make it windy, if its heads, then its a threshing issue.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
i will tell you my settings i use on wheat and durum, pre seive...5
rotor 900 to 1000
concave 2 - 4
fan 950 to 1050
upper seive 11 to 14
lower seive 5 to 7
no more fan plugings and clean sample, takes it to almost seed quality and return might bounce high on factory preset sensity,
combine is running less than .5 percent out the back in 50 to 70 bu yeilds

now for conala or mustard i run
pre seive 2
fan 650
rotor 670
upper seive 7
lower seive 6
concave 25
clean sample with no fan plugs and minimal out the back in A 30 to 40bu crop

last night we ran in a 81bu/ac canola crop
preseive 2
fan 480
rotor580
upper seive 11
lower 8
concave 25
sample was dirty in my books but owner was happy with the results out the back, figured it would be 4 percent dockage at the terminal, we did find the the previous settings were to high for his 25foot swaths

this canola crop was the heaviest canola crop i have ever been in and it was on irragation

i run small wire on the front and large wire on the back, conditions seam to change from machine to machine, but stay with it

i run with two 9860s jds and run at least two mph faster with a bigger head, no comparsion, like apples and oranges

·
Registered
206 Posts
From what I reed in there I would say you boys run the rotor to fast. try to slow down and open concave should help. If you doe so the mas will stay longer in the cage and more grain will be threshed in the rotor. In the wheat we usually open concave to 15mm (ST rotor) or max 2 on AFX rotor) rotor speed 900-1000 if it is very hard do thresh wheat we slow down rotor to 850rpm it works. Another thing is fan speed. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT IT IS NOT TO LOW. take a risk and increase it to max and then go down by 10rpm until you see first chaff in grain tank. Check the looses and I give you 80% warranty it will be more or less perfect setup of fan speed and tailings back to normal level.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts