The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, We have a 2007 7010 that keeps wrapping straw around the rotor shaft and causing the front bearing to fail. Last season we replaced the bearing 5 times because of this. Last year we replaced the bars that are welded to the front of the rotor and also replaced the blades on the impeller with sharpened blades. Before starting this year we replaced the impellers and the channel that holds the bearing as it has some bars on it also that were worn. We also set the rotor so that the blades are right up against the bearing holder. We've ordered new transition cone vanes but those haven't come in yet. The attached photo is after cutting 20 acres of Barley. Our local dealer doesn't have a lot of experience with 7010's and we have been in contact with a dealer north of us but they don't know what else we could try. We had a 2188 with the same problem but after talking with Ron Kile from Kile Manufacturing we were able to fix it. The 7010 is set up different and so far we've had no luck. Has anyone had a similar problem or know how we can fix this?
Jet engine Aircraft engine Propeller Sousaphone Brass instrument

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's an update. We took the bearing out today and it appears that moving the rotor closer to the housing has helped with the straw wrapping problem. The above picture was before we had moved the rotor forward. Here's what we're thinking happened. In order to get the knives closer we had to shave the bearing down itself because removing the shims didn't get it close enough. We didn't have the right tooling for our lathe so we had used a grinder to shave it. So besides the grind not being perfect there was a burr that kept it from sitting flat against the wrap stop washer. We're thinking that may have caused this one to heat up and fail. So we're going to take the new bearing to a shop to have it turned precisely this time around. I will post some pictures of the bearing holder. We replaced this bearing holder last year also hoping it would help. It appears tho that the radiused bars are rounded on the side that should be sharp and this is how it came new. So does this one look right or is it not manufactured right?
Auto part Wheel Locking hubs
Auto part Wheel Nut
Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior
Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel Metal
Auto part Wheel Metal
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Pipe Asphalt
Auto part Wheel
Tire Automotive wheel system Wheel Auto part Automotive tire
Circle Drain Automotive wheel system Wheel Metal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update. After installing the new turned bearing it appeared like that fixed our issue with it getting hot. After a couple hours of running you could hold your hand on it where as before it was so hot you couldn't touch it. But we had a fire start in the engine compartment and destroyed the combine and header. So we are currently looking to replace it. We've been looking at 7010's again but also looking at a New Holland CR7090. What are peoples opinions on these machines. We only cut small grains and I've heard these get really clean samples.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Update. After installing the new turned bearing it appeared like that fixed our issue with it getting hot. After a couple hours of running you could hold your hand on it where as before it was so hot you couldn't touch it. But we had a fire start in the engine compartment and destroyed the combine and header. So we are currently looking to replace it. We've been looking at 7010's again but also looking at a New Holland CR7090. What are peoples opinions on these machines. We only cut small grains and I've heard these get really clean samples.
I really like my Cr and how it performs in small grains, while ive never run that specific model i see no reason why it wouldnt be good also. If you have a good dealer go for it, i think they outdo a case in small grains. If you do stick with case I would look for something with the large seive, either a class 8 or if you go 7230 or newer in class 7.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts