The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having significant rotor loss in 200 + bpa corn at 19.5% moisture. I tried rotor speed from 280 to 450. I closed and opened concave. I tried round bar and skip wire in different locations. I set rear vanes to slow position.

The combine speed does not change loss very much. When I do a stall test there is corn in the trash inside the last or rear grate of the rotor. There are kernels under the chopper. If you put it in windrow mode and walk behind combine you can see the corn coming out the rotor.
Do I need straight bars on the back of the rotor? I only have an 8 row head on it. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't know much about corn but I would make sure that the front vanes are set equal to, or slower than the rear vanes...this could lead to a congestion problem in the rotor area.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would put a set or 4 on the rear of the rotor. This will take a little more power to turn but will help keep the grain in the tank. I am not sure exactly where you put the round bars or the skips, but a skip or two in the front should work to get the grain out sooner rather than later.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
might not be enough in it? put the round bars in the right second postion one to start with large wires in the rest. be sure your pinch point is right and concave position is as it's suppose to be. I never had a rotoe loss problem with my 8010 you shouldn't with your 7010 double check the adjustments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had rotor loss problems with an 8010 with 8 row head, this is what corrected it . Shifted the rotor cage as far as it would go to the right, vanes in slow position,rotor 400 rpm, concave 6, corrected the problem. Round bar concaves in the first and second position, large skip wire third and forth. I did not try it but I think 4 straight bars or a few spiked rasp bars on the back of the rotor would help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
if you still have a rotor loss be sure you got 8 separator bar on the rear of the rotor we got the same problem last year on high yield corn and we fixed the problem with 8 sep bar

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We got it. 4 straight bars in back. Set vanes in slow position in last 4 vanes. Put large wire in first concave and round bar in second position. Works like a totally different machine. It likes the rotor at 410 rpm much faster than a 2388. Those spike rasp bars from the factory do nothing in corn. Unbelievable Case would build a corn machine without the straight bars.

I got my 3408 and it works great. It does a great job of chopping up the stalks. No grease bearings on the front. It really pulls the corn in with the longer knives.

·
Registered
40 Posts
has anyone tried straight bars in the front of the rotor to finish thrashing earlier and than thin out the trash by speeding it through the seperating area of the cage

·
Registered
67 Posts
i have also noticed some corn out of the rear of our 8010. Performed quick kill and believe we have rotor loss.200bu. corn,concave 6,rotor 400,top sieve 20, bottom 23. Grain sample looks good! With this set up I'm running 3.8-4.2 with 12row and 22-25% corn.If i go any faster my tailings will go crazy as will my chaffer monitor. Tailings are set at 100% and chaffer is at 30%
This is our first 8010 and we like the machine but a bit dissapointed in the performance so far. We prev. ran 2388 with 12row and ran 3 -4mph in 15-20% corn Soo what are we missing ? We always pulled every other wire in the 2388 when we ran corn will that work on an 8010 and if so which modules do we do it to? Any help would be appreciated!!

Ryan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Soo one round bar in #2 will take care of it? Have you ever tried to pull the wires in #2? Guess I 'm not out anything to try!!! FarmerTony you experience with the 8010, Does the capacity seem about right for the yield and moisture. I've never seen soo many upright ears on 102 day corn in the middle of Oct. I wish I had stock in lp.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How important is it to have the pinch point off to the right side.
My pinch point is in the center.
The straight bars helped the most but I have a few kernels coming out yet. I do not believe it is doing as well as the old 2388. You can see some kernels on the ground in the standing corn next to where the combine ran. This cant be from header loss and I opened up the sieves so it must be from the rotor and tossed over by the spreader.

I did another stall test and there is corn on the cobs in the second set of concaves, The 2388 would have it all off the cobs in the first set of concaves so you would have the second and third to separate kernels from MOG.
I see allot of corn mixed with trash in the third set of grates and some at the beginning of the 4th. This seems like to much corn that far back in the rotor and gives you a good chance of some going out. The load on the sieve is level and there is only corn and trash on the pre-sieve. I took it up to 5mph and loss increases. Engine power is at 83 percent but is still 60 with separator empty and machine not moving.

Farmertony does the 9120 have the same size rotor? If it does I cant see how it could run a 16 row head in high yielding corn.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Gonna check my pinchpoint this morning. I to am seeing some corn in the first row of standing corn. We are going to try a skip wire in#3 position today if the weather cooperates. I don't have the straigtht bars on yet, Ijust hate having to put all this stuff on to combine corn and beans!! when I did a quick stall I saw the same things that you did,ie. corn in back half of rotor cage. I think there are enogh knowledgeable people on here that we may get it figured out, I hope.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the regular AFX rotor. The Case guys at the 7010/8010 new owners class I went to said the ST rotor has more rotor loss in corn but is great in beans and grain.

So if you grow mostly corn like I do, you don't want any part of a ST rotor since...... I am already having problems with the standard one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The pinch point location was mainly an issue of grain distribution on the pan. An easy way to check rotor loss is to open the windrow door and leave the spreaders down anything that comes out the rotor will be in the windrow. How many straight bars now? good luck

·
Registered
341 Posts
we have a 7010 running all round bars in front 2 positions, concave 8-9, rotor 330, pre sieve notch 5 open, top 20 bottom 16, fan 1050, been running 3.8 - 4.0 in 21-23% corn making over 230 dry. we were having some issues before we got to these settings with it walking a little grain over the sieve, but seemed to have solved that problem. Also the concave is shifted full right for even distribution on pan. Found this to be the recommended initial setting in the book after we already had it there. Asked dealer why they didn't put it there and told us that is not what they were told at school.

Has anyone used the toll free Hotline? we have and it has been benificial.

·
Registered
40 Posts
hey smooth what do you have in pos 3 and4 do you have any straight bars on the rotor How many bu per hour are you able to get thruogh

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
never really had any problems with rotor loss's with the 8010. had run up to 3 roundbars in the front. if you use too many it makes the combine want to act funny. needing to change settings a lot. round bars let the mog out. I'm hoping the 3416 will let it out before it gets in. never have ran straight bars but have them ready for the ST rotor in the 9120. We've had about 4" of rain in the last few days, looks like the tracks and mudhog might come in handy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Farmertony when you get rolling with that 16 row please have your photo guy take some pictures of whats on the ground behind the combine. Look in the standing rows or windrow and look behind the rotor. I wonder what the stall test will show and how far back in the rotor you have corn. According to the Case guys at the class the ST rotor should have more rotor loss.

Some of my loss may be do to the conditions. The corn is yielding in this field at a record level. 240 to 260 bpa wet yield. The moisture is 19 to 20. We have not had any heavy rain since the corn plant died so there are allot of dry leaves breaking off and going into the machine. I quickly get a bunch of these leaves building on the feeder on up to the windshield. There may be just to much material going in to separate everything.

I talked to a neighbor that bought a CAT this year. He said he demoed a CAT and a 8010 last year with 12 row heads and the CAT had less rotor loss so he decided to buy the CAT.

His CAT is a big ugly and box like German design. The 7010 is way cooler looking. I have more people stopping by the road and looking at the the 7010 running then he does. He may be smarter than me but I am better looking.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts