The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are running an 07 7010 and an 08 7010 in durum, barley, peas and lentils. So far both combines have been breaking the veins that are on the top of the cylinder about 1.5-2 feet ahead o the chopper. These then go through the chopper and even though they are pretty heavy steal, get all smashed up by the chopper blades. The veins show signs of extreme heat and it looks like they are breaking off where they bolt on to the cylinder. Has anybody else had this problem? The conditions have been somewhat tough, but not that bad and there isn't that much material going through the machine. So far we've gone through 7 veins between the two combines. Any help or insight would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Re: 7010 Rotor Veins Breaking & Going Through Chop

Are you talking about the vanes in the rotor cage, or the rasp bars on the rotor? Neither one should be showing signs of extreme heat though. Has someone been inside your machines with a torch during service time? Something sounds odd.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Sorry. I mean the veins on the top of the rotor cage. One machine is brand new and the other one has 350hrs on it from last year. Nobody's been inside the machines with anything hot. Besides the signs of high heat, the bars also seem to be bending towards the front of the combine, which then either brakes the bolts that hold them or the bolt holes on the vein. Then eventually it lets loose and goes through the chopper where the veins will often get chopped in half. I can't believe how strong that chopper is! Anyways, the fact that these veins are bending forward (when the crop material flows to the back of the machine) has really got us baffled. Case doesn't know anything about it and their only suggestion was to put the veins up to high. We broke another vein last night. We are braking veins that we've already replaced so it isn't a one time deal. We're gonna keep going, but I fear the chopper is going to get destroyed before long. Those veins are some pretty thick metal.

·
Registered
475 Posts

So far I've heard of 3 8010s doing this same thing.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

We do have the chopper set to high, and the some of the rasp bars have a raised point to them which we were told helps to move material that is building up through the rotor. They must have just sent the faulty veined combines to Saskatchewan! With 8000 acres of tough grain left to combine, this could be a long harvest!

·
Registered
475 Posts

Did they break in peas? The 3 that I heard about had peas wrapping around the rotor.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts

Have you tryed putting the vanes that are breaking in the slow position? Sometimes those vanes can act as a retarder in tough stuff if the angle is too steep for the material to slide along. Many times in my 1680 I've found that slow or medium pitch vanes position will transport the material faster than the fast position.

·
Registered
105 Posts

I would check out the helical kicker bar on the back of rotor. Maybe you need 4 of them or the rice version part # 87396383

check out the case parts manual on the caseih site under the 8010 rotor.

This kicker on the back of 1460 rotor made a huge difference. Granted the 1460 is not an 8010 but a rotor is a rotor and has some similar characteristics.

I would stay clear of the rear of the combine. I had a chopper blade on a 1660 break off and put a hole in the rear steel panel of the combine.

·
Registered
105 Posts

One time I bent the rear vanes in a 1460 by running in very weedy beans. The rear of the rotor was plugging ahead of the chopper. The vanes were bent toward front because they force the crop out the back and as Newton said for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction ..... so the vanes were bent to the front.

Adding weed knives to the back of rotor fixed the problem by causing the rotor to empty faster.
Do you have your chopper on high speed so that it moves the material out fast. Do you have the helical kickers on the back end of the rotor. I think it comes with two but you can add two more to improve the evacuation out of the rotor.

Some times the rotor on the 1660 would slug and when digging out the material at the back I would notice it was very hot from the friction of the rotor banging against it without exiting.

If you have material hanging up it will get hot but you might catch fire if it is getting the metal real hot.

The 1460 did not have the horsepower to spin the rotor when it started to plug the horn would go off. Maybe with over 400hp you could be plugging ahead of the chopper and not even know it.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts

I would think they are retarded to much speed them up to medium or fast if they are not their do you have straight bars on?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The veins have been in medium most frequently when they were breaking. We've only broke one since putting it to high. I'm not sure what "straight bars" you are talking about Farmer Tony. Veins and bars are just something we have never had to deal with before in our 20+ years with Case combines. However they have come from the factory has worked fine in our area. We've just never had this much power and torque going to a rotor before.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts

straight bars on the back of the rotor I doubt you have them. I would stick them in fast might slove your problem one isn't in slow somewhere by mistake?

·
Registered
36 Posts

What threshing modules are you running in both the front and the rear. Straight bars are on the rear of the rotor, each straight bar replaces two rasp bars and is connected to the rotor with the two bolts that held the rasp bars on. There can be two, four, or six of them on. Make sure there are none of these on, they purpose is to slow the crop flow down. If you are bending the veins over you want the crop to flow faster. We have sometimes had this problem in edible beans if we had the wrong threshing modules installed, especially if conditions are a little tough moisture wise.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Hey Big,
just had the same thing happen to an 07 8010 tonight in canola. All of a sudden lost all my capacity, it was time to quit anyway and when I was blowing off the machine I found a couple of the washers that go on the top bolt of the veins. Took side cover off and WOW, one missing completly, one broke in half and two bent in the forward like you described. Didnt run any rocks through and concave is open to 8. Was late so I will investigate further in morning, but I remembered reading this post and was hoping to hear you had found some kind of answer to why this happens.
My veins were in the fast position and I do have some spiked bars on the back of the rotor, didn't know that till tonight. First year with machine.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Since putting the veins into high at the back we haven't broke any on either combine and we've been going through some pretty nasty stuff. We've done around 1500 acres since the vein positioning change. Our service manager has talked direct to Case about this and they don't have an answer as to why, but they are almost out of veins in their parts department (in North America) we hear, so obviously this isn't a problem unique to our combines. Stickeye, did you not hear the vein that broke off go though your chopper? I know when ours break it gets REALLY loud when it goes through the back and usually takes a blade or two with it. We're keeping our fingers crossed that they keep holding up. Of course now we're having problems with the unloading auger. If I put more than 1.5 bu/second through it the belt smokes and the shear pin breaks so it takes forever to unload. We'll be glad when this harvest is over. Only 6500 acres to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts