The Combine Forum banner

7088 fire

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  redtech 
#1 ·
Our neighbor came over with his 7088 to give us a hand. He only worked with us for 3 or 4 hours and the combine caught fire around the rear lh panel. We put it out with minimal damage. One hour later there was a fire in the stubble. When he stopped we found two more smoldering piles of chaff and dust on the combine. One by the batter box and the other in the rear lh panel again. We couldn't find any hot bearings or any cause. We put a chain on the help with static. He has 200 hours on this unit,never had a problem until he came to our farm. We think the chaff and dust is sitting in the thermostat/alt/exh manifold are,catching fire and being blown thru the engine compartment. We cant explain why he had no problems till he got to our place. He runs this machine by itself,now he is working with 2 8010's. We are picking up in canola. The dealer was out and looked this AM but are not sure either. Has anyone else had any issues? Any ideas?

#5 ·
Yes we had 2 fires on our new 7088 today!!! Smoldering around engine, on top of starter, several places on left rear side. After first fire we completely washed the combine, then 3 hours later another fire started!!! Seems like a lot of trash around engine area. Now we stop and smell quite often!!!

#6 ·
yea we do the same as blanchfarm, drag 2 chains on front axle & 1 on rear axle, worst problem here is fine lentil dust, nothing seems to stick when dragging chains, this wont help much though if you've just got chaff build up, more of an air flow problem around engine, maybe some sort of deflector plate to blow into dead areas

#8 ·
I wouldn't worry. I never hear of many fires in this area on red... Just corn and beans here tho....we used to see a few smoldering ones on the 1480 but nothing on the 21 and up. We don't even carry fire extinguishers untill last year it came on the 2588. Also u will have more capacity and there are a lot of grerat changes in this new series I bet u will be very happy

#9 ·
After several more fires and a burnt panel we found a 3/16 inch gap in the sheet metal in the chopper discharge area that was allowing dust and chaff into the engine compartment. once itwas sealed it up there have been no more fires and the engine area stays clean. If any of you are having trouble I would suggest checking your combine ASAP. If you stand on the engine deck facing forward and look down along the oil pan where the 2 silver pipes run accross the engine deck you may see its packed with straw thats been pushed up from inside the chopper area. Or look from the sieves up,where the flat top tin meets the one that angles down towards the spreaders. The reason there was no problem for the first 200 hour and this only started happening at our farm is when my neighbor came over to our place he blew his combine off. That cleaned this gap out and allowed the chaff thru to the engine area again. we filled the gap with urethane and put 4 self tapping screws in to hold the 2 sheets of tin together. Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.