The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to make the decision to trade my 2388 to a 7088! Has anyone informations about this combine, especially about the quality???
Thanks

TOM

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
there were some good improvements in the 2588 and then im told several in the new series.

what size of corn head are u running...and bean/draper head?

basically if ur staying with 8 row/36 ft draper head area all u need is a 6088 or 2588.... maybe u harvest 220 corn and 60 beans then u might consider a 7088 more

personally its possible for us to see the beans and the 2388 handled them great with a draper and I only see corn yield that much in draws or if I gun on the hydro lol.

good luck

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I've only looked at one at the dealer's lot, but I liked what I saw. Everything seems easier to get to than on the old machines. I especially liked the electrically adjusting sieves.

Personally, if I was going to use a 36 foot header in irrigated wheat I'd go with either a 7088 or 7010/7120. Our 2388 doesn't seem to like all that straw (it's awesome in low-yielding dryland wheat, though) and a 6088 doesn't have a lot of extra power. I assume that since you're from Austria that wouldn't use a header that big anyway, but you would need the 7088's horsepower to handle large amounts of straw

·
Registered
117 Posts
have gotten up close and personal with the whole series of new `88,s on the wrench end. the pro`s are that it is bigger (70) in places it needed to get bigger (15%) on grain elevator and decent power. big rotor belt with higher torque spring, could go on and on. the biggest thing I don`t like was that all the diagnostic is in the A-post and to navigate through it is cumbersome, all icons and no text so keep the manual handy. On the `20,s all of that is in the pro-600 and is much quicker at least for me. If you get through that and get used tothe rest it`s a hog and will stay close to a7120 in the field they`re both class sevens both have 9 liters one cummins one iveco

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
yeah I've actually heard from a case guy ill call him.....that he seen a 7088 do a lot more than a 7010 they were all observing....but its all about having the machine set right...

·
Registered
137 Posts
The A-post leaves alot to be desired!!! Entirely too complicated compared to the 600 display. Shaker bushings improved...? not that I can see. The shielding is a real pain too. The NH influence is showing up more and that is bad. Problems on the way with the rotor gearbox.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
casefarmer,

we actually need some extra power to drive the straw chopper, though here in Austria we often face green straw.
We normally use a 2020 25ft head ( yields up to 90bu/ac), in corn 6 rows, but corn is up to 250 bu/ac and 12ft tall and around 30% moisture. And we have to run Geringhoff RD heads to cut the stalks, customers want that!

Thanks

·
Registered
367 Posts
That story jives. The primary reason that the 8010 and 7010 were not introduced at the same time was that the 7010 would not, in most conditions, outperform the 2588. The narrow NH-based cleaning system couldn't keep up to the "old standby". Even today, the 7010/7120 is not leaps and bounds larger than a 2588.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
What shielding do you mean? Are you talking about all the little shields they put around belts and chains and whatnot?

I didn't have a chance to get too thorough when I looked at it, but I did like how the side panels opened fully. It looked much easier to get to everything for service and cleaning. The big lights hanging from them looked sweet, too; a vast improvement over the dinky little trouble lights on the 2388 that never work. I also really liked how the hood over the engine could be lifted up to get full access to it.

I didn't get to look inside the cab, either, but I think I know what you guys are talking about with the A-pillar. Most new equipment has a much more European feel with all the diagrams and pictures instead of words, I guess to overcome language barriers. I find a lot of those little icons to be incomprehensible.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi
I saw a 6088 at cereals in UK last week.
I thought the straw and chaff spreaders loked to be a great improvement over 2388. Separate chaff spreader looked to be really strong and able to spread chaff while windrowing straw. Straw spreaders are left on for windrowing and deflectors adjust to form rows. The deflectors can also be adjusted from cab while spreading to give better control in windy weather.
Grain tank folding extension looks good too.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I hate to hear that on the A post...but its like all companies to take something simple and complicate it.

im lost as well to the rotor gearbox comment and the shaker bushings...atleast they didn't change the d**n feederhouse lol

just leave the direction of raise and lowering alone.....I still dread the day when they try to change that..both of my greene uncles moved up to deere rotors and hate how it raise's and lower's.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
In my opinion the shaker system in general is the weak point of this platform. I think it should last more than 1000 hours before needing rebuilt. I don't see where they have improved anything in this area. The shielding around the cleaning fan, feeder, etc. to me is harder to get off and not user friendly. maybe I just need to get used to it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I`m waiting on the explanation on the rotor gearbox as well. looks fine to me. but as far as doing well in austria on the hills and slopes no problem although a self leveling shaker might serve you better. as before they`re both class 7`s (7088,7120) if you want belts and pulleys go `88 if you want cvt`s go `20

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ran my new machine here recently and cut a few hundred acres of wheat. PLenty of power, 35' draper in 60 bushel wheat, 13% moisture at 5 mph with power to spare. Will test it in about a 5 weeks in corn. 2588 was doing 3000 bph last year CIH guys say the 7088 will do 3,600 bph.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 88 series combines are not Flagship combines... shouldn't expect the pro 600 as the standard instrumentation but is available as an option. Because of the screen size of the A post navigating will be more difficult compared to the large Pro 600 screen. As mentioned by another post, icon have taken the place of text to accomodate different countries. This has been very common in Europe for years and now with everything being electronic displays instead of decals, software is only being written for Icons. Can you imagine how some of the text would look like in German?
Diganostics have been added to the 88 series that was not on the 2588's, people should be happy it's now available

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cornstalk: My comment was "shouldn't expect the pro 600 as the standard instrumentation but is available as an option"

Meaning the standard instrumentation on the new 88 series combine is an A post but the Pro 600 can be added as an option or used if the customer already has this monitor. It's required for precision farming. The Pro 600 does not replace the A post when installed and the A post will have the same functionality including diagnostics.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts