The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to me 7088 and a new to me 2152 header with AHHC. What mode do I need to have my combine in to utilize the auto height control? Also, how does it work and how well does it work? Does it sense ground contact from the cables moving? Any insight from someone who has run this type of setup is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Not sure exactly what the 7088 calls it. It's not float mode. If your header electrical is plugged in it should detect it properly. I think my 7230 just calls it auto header height mode. On the screen it shows the header icon with a left and right arrow under it. It can be engaged when the feeder is running and I hit my resume button. The header is designed to ride on the wheels. The main springs transfer most of the weight to the feederhouse. The cables take the difference between the header position and the feeder adapter position and pull on the header height sensor. Adjust your feeder height until the white indicator number on the header is somewhere in the middle (near 2). Then press the button on the console to program it to that height using the 1 (or 2) side of the header height button. After that when you press resume it should drop to and keep that height. You can actually set two positions and switch between them with the resume button, but with this header two positions rarely makes sense.

I really like the MacDon system as the header can ride almost independently of the combine. If you go over a bump or your combine wheel drops into a ditch, the header will ride independently on the wheels and springs and the feeder will just move to catch up to it, if that makes sense. Makes it really smooth.

If you want to adjust the cutting height you need to physically adjust the wheel position, or tilt the header forward or back if you have that option on it.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
ON the 7088, you will need the correct header select (Draper) and then perform the calibration (Hold the head fully down for 2-3 seconds, hold raise). If the AHHC sensor is OK, this should get rid of the dreaded "2 bells" (Uncalibrated head) alarm. Then lower the head to selected cutting position, and with everything running, set #1. AHC should automatically activate at this point. The Mode selection is automatic, based on what the combine "sees".....you get no control over which mode (other than manual!)

Read your owners manual about operating the cornerpost. There is a ton of stuff available, its just a real PITA to operate as its all symbols and memory!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ON the 7088, you will need the correct header select (Draper) and then perform the calibration (Hold the head fully down for 2-3 seconds, hold raise). If the AHHC sensor is OK, this should get rid of the dreaded "2 bells" (Uncalibrated head) alarm. Then lower the head to selected cutting position, and with everything running, set #1. AHC should automatically activate at this point. The Mode selection is automatic, based on what the combine "sees".....you get no control over which mode (other than manual!)

Read your owners manual about operating the cornerpost. There is a ton of stuff available, its just a real PITA to operate as its all symbols and memory!
Thanks. I read the manual and there was lots of stuff that didn’t make totally sense to me. It seems fairly straight forward. When does the alarm go? Just while setting up or will it continue while cutting?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

One more thing, how does it sense “height”? Does it pickup when the wheels or end skid plates move and then raise itself and return after?

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
As mentioned, it senses height when the adapter moves relative to the header itself. Or in other words when the header moves on the springs relative to the feederhouse. That's what the number readout on the header itself is for. Set it to always run in the middle of that range, near the number 2 on the white height indicator. The actual sensor is in the indicator itself. The nice thing about this is that it works whether you're on the ground on the skid shoes, or riding on the wheels. No whiskers or little guide wheels needed.

So yes when the header rides up, either from the wheels or the skid shoes, the feeder will raise until the adapter catches up to the header.

If the height control is jerky you might need to clean out the cables and mechanism under the height indicator, or possibly replace the sensor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the great info. I got to the field this afternoon. I’m thinking I must have a bad sensor because I get the Header with question mark icon after going through the steps.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
That sounds like E34 - Header Type sensor error. Try looking at the header and see if it has a header recognition module on it - it would be a 6 pin in line weatherpack "potted module", connected to a 6 pin plug very close to the header connector.

If not you need to go in to the header menu and manually select the head type first. If it will even help....these machines seem to really want the header recognition.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
One thing you might check if it is an older 2152 is that it wasn't being used on a NH combine. They used a different voltage pot which was not compatible between red and yellow combines. Newer headers (2016 and on?) can be hooked to either red or yellow combines and work flawlessly. I had an older 2152 and was using it on a yellow combine - I needed to change the pot!

Reactions: torriem
1 - 9 of 9 Posts