The Combine Forum banner

7120 extended warranty

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  redfarmernc 
#1 ·
1 Year old 7120 400 hours. dealer wants 6,000$ for a extra year of warranty. What are you guys take on this? Have had electrical problems with motors and such. What do you all think? Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
I noticed there were no responses so I thought I'd check your post. This is always a tough question. I had a JD 9650 that was terrible the first year. I thought I might have a lemon, but the dealer said that for the money he'd suggest I not get the add warranty because they had found 2nd year machines to be really good even with as many quirks as mine had. I counted them and had over 20 unrelated service calls, but none of them were issues that the dealer considered to be chronic. As it turned out, the machine was excellent for the next 3 years.

I think that if you were concerned about a major chronic issue the $6000 might be worth it, but otherwise I'd probably balk at the extended warranty especially if that's only for the 2nd year. Maybe someone else will have some input, but a good dealer can be of great value in making this decision.

#3 ·
This is just my experience. Purchased a new 08 8010 and dealer advised me the extended warranty was not beneficial in his mind. He said most major repairs or problems will occur in first year and regular warranty should take care of that. I heeded his advise.

The first year I had the lower sieve actuator fail and a small leak on the cleaning fan hydraulic motor. Both were replaced under regular warranty, no problem. In the 09 harvest I had no problems whatsoever. Hopefully this continues.

#4 ·
I would think that any good dealer would help you out if you had problems with the machine- I think the companies need to go to an hourly warranty- not a yearly one. A machine that costs a quarter of million bucks should have more that a one year warranty.

#5 ·
First of all thanks for all of your advice! I am a young farmer in this is going to be my 7th year farming. I was dumped into it when my dad past away. I am always looking for advice. So Thank You all for you help!

North1 we have replaced the sieve actuators 4 times on this machine and the fan motor once. The main wireing harness 1 time. Header tilt switches 4 times. Even with all this it is one of the best combines I have ever owned. I had a 2388 one of the last ones produced in ILL. before they moved to Grand Island and it was a lemon from day one! Dealer got four combines at one time and mine was the only one that did not end up at John deere's lot. I have a great dealer! Anyone around here will tell you that! Once again Thanks for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.