The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the top ground speeds in each gear (1-4) for a 7120 with planetary final drives? Do the top speeds vary with the 4WD engaged? I have not been able to find this information on the web site or in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
620 Posts
With 42" duals and planetary finals approx max speed observed, 2nd gear 4wd-4.5mph 2wd-7.0mph, 3rd gear 4wd-7.2mph 2wd-11.4, 4th gear 2wd-22.1mph. Don't know what 1st gear will run at have not used it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks redhat, I take it you had to go by experience and not published info. When I drove the new machine to the shop after it was unloaded, 17.5 mph was about all I could get. I had it in 4th, but couldn't remember whether they had left the 4WD on while unloading. Since I'm new to red combines, I was more interested in dodging the traffic and watching for low limbs than I was trying to stop in the road to figure out why I was going so slow in 4th. With all the rain and mud I haven't gotten it back out of the shed to try out my 4WD vs. 2WD theory. I did not get the HI-LO option because I didn't think I needed it, but wasn't going to be too happy with 17-18 mph for top road speed.

Thanks for the reply,

·
Registered
460 Posts
Did you engage the transport lock out switch (the switch that looks like a road under a bridge). If it is not pushed the combine will only transport at about 17.5 mph.

·
Registered
657 Posts
jmark71 i did same thing until called dealer and he told me to push road transport button and went up to 21 mph it is the switch that looks like a road

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, skfarmboy and 8010. No, I did not push the transport switch. I didn't think the 4WD was on, but decided that was the most likely cause. Having only driven Deere combines, I didn't think about the transport switch because that didn't affect JD's speed - 4WD did. I think you guys solved my problem. I'll be glad when the monsoon lets up so I can at least get the 7120 out in the lot and get more acclimated. Even finding things in the new owner's manual isn't very easy. Always a lot easier when you do it after reading about it - something about the hands on part and memory retention.

·
Registered
620 Posts
There is no mention of the roading switch effecting the travel speed in the operators manual so you did not miss anything. Appears the roading switch has to be engaged while stopped before you start to travel in 4th gear, will not change while in motion.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The transport switch did not cause a reduction in transport speed on earlier 8010s. It did not affect transport speed on my 2004 or 2006 model but it did affect my 2008. The dealer told me the switch had to be engaged before starting travel, but on my 2009 9120 the switch could be engaged and disengaged while traveling. Pushing the switch when travelling caused the combine to slow down and speed up.

·
Super Moderator
3,982 Posts
The 07 CR9070 begin like your 9120, powershiftable on the go.
Midseason they did one of those POS software "updates" making it like your 08. Way, far, WORSE setup.
Could common sense have creeped into your 9120?
OH NO, not that!

Don

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm pretty sure that if you had v21 in your Pro600 last year you could push the road transport button when moving and it would work.

I don't think that when CNH was writing vXX they intended for you to be at a complete stop before pushing the road transport button for it to work, it was just one of those glitches that show up........didn't you get an alarm if you did push the button on the go?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts