The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Depends on your acceptable level of losses. Moisture is a big variable here, as this shoe struggles with higher moisture corn. At 19%, you should be able to approach 4000 bph which is probably going to put you at just over 4 mph or so. That is about all I would expect out of that machine, and even then, I would keep a very close eye on the ground for shoe losses, especially on the right side. Shoe loss will be your limiting factor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was thinking, but yesterday I couldn't get much over 3000 without luggin it down, may just be the variety, its takin in quite a bit of trash with the ears. We ran out of dry corn, so hopefully we can get it up there when it drys out some more.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It is important to remember that not all class 7 combines are equal - the class rating is absolutely no indication of relative capacity - only horsepower - so as such, it is an utterly useless tool for comparing combine capacity. A 7010/7120 just isn't going to get to 4500 - 5000 bph without shoveling corn over the shoe. The wetter the corn, the lower that number becomes. If you can hit 4000 with it, you are doing extremely well in very dry corn. Otherwise, upper 3000s is more realistic.

·
Registered
212 Posts
9700, finally a voice of reason on the combine forum. 4000bph in 250 bu corn would require a 12 row 30" head to travel at an impossible 6.3mph. In 200 bu corn (a little more realistic-seems everyone has 250 bu corn this year) would increase this speed to 7.87 mph. No corn head invented can travel that fast in corn of that high of yield. The material to handle at that speed would be unthinkable. There is nothing like wet corn to slow shoe thru-put. Look how high moisture corn slows auger output, the very same principle. A 12 row head at 4 mph in 200 bpa corn would be around 2910 bu/hr. Even that would be pushing most combines in wet corn to their limit.

·
Registered
198 Posts
corsair your calculations were right on the gleaner forum but not right here. 8 row head at 6.5 mph in 250 bu. corn equals 3939 bu. per hour

·
Registered
413 Posts
I ran a 7010 this year with a 12 row, 240 bus corn at 24%. Handled it very well at 3-3.5 mph, no losses and motor at 68% power. Took it to 5 mph and the losses really went up but the motor still had more in it. It seemed as though we could have run upwards of 4mph but in that corn the cart wouldn't keep up. The other machine in the field was an 8010 with a 12 row as well. Both combines in the 3mph range and everything flowed smoothly.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Chevyman, you are correct. My miscalculation. 4000bu/hr with 12 row 30" head would be 4.4 mph in 250 bu/a corn. 5.5 mph in 200 bu corn. A lot of speed and tremendous amount of wet grain to handle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts