The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Few years back I asked the same thing about the 7120, dealer said it would only hold 315bu, but if measured it's the same dimensions as the 81 and 9120 combines are up top

I filled the hopper one day with peas till it ran on the hood, ran it to town to see and it came in at 248bu, same as the bigger models... I bet your the same as the bigger models as well

Also would like to know what a 9230 holds completely full if any one knows with a grain cart scale or something...

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
I know the 8120 and 9120 have slightly taller extensions than the 7120, by a few inches, if I recall.

I want to know where extra bushels come from on the 9240. I can't think the actual bin dimensions have changed there.

·
Registered
438 Posts
On a 7230 with Crary Big Top added to factory extensions loaded to point of crop hitting the cab roof, I have weighed out 397bu of lentils, and 419bu of peas. Topper might be the best dollar for dollar investment I've made on the combine. It does wear out the bubble up auger very quickly though, even the extended wear version.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would love to have a grain cart with scale on it. Seems like I am always questioning the yield monitor with no good way of double checking without hauling to town. With 2 combines dumping in semi trailers it is almost impossible to double check them properly.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
farmerjones, that is because you were running it ;)

So, do you know roughly the overflow volume in bushels of a 7230 or 8230 with hydraulic covers? I am guessing about 300-315 for a 7230 if I have my yield monitor adjusted correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I won't argue a similar deere dumps faster. Not all that impressed with case unloading speed. Not all that impressed with there specs either. That is why I am asking about the true capacity of the tank. It is a game everyone plays. Make the numbers work as needed.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Wonder if the case has it tents in the hopper in low position, that can be the difference there, have the 4.5bu/s and it hauls the mail, found pivot spout to work well and gives you some leeway, but need to be carful to not shoot over truck, on 14 models they are pre wired for cameras, will be putting on soon

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks bussard I will check that. It is a lease combine so I can see why it would be set that way.

Now, back to that grain tank capacity thing.... I have heard from 280-350bu now. Anyone else measured it a time or two?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Well had a grain cart last few days with scale, we were on durum that weight was 60/bu and filled 9230 hopper twice till it tricked on the roof first time was 330bu and next 325bu, so with the heavier peas, or heavy wheat I could easy see close to 360bu

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well, I've unloaded over 200,000 bu of wheat between the two in SD alone, and he hasn't beat me yet....trust me, we have had many opportunities to try, LOL. It does really have us stumped as to how it can not finish ahead. Must say the auger boot with the power motor is slick, works super well as a grain catcher when turned off full (lord knows how terrible he last 3 designs have been....), and the grain shoots out in a tight controlled flow that is really nice. However after the initial playing around with the motor to adjust the spout you still some howe seem to just move the combine forward or backwards to fill a truck LOL. Is nice to fill a big cart and direct flow. But must say, in rough ground and tall carts kinda concerned the adjuster could hit the cart...had that happen on the folding part of of our Deere auger...not pretty.
I asked the case IH rep at big iron this very question when we still had 20 series case combines. I believe at the time the deere and case were rated approx the same, but deere was WAY faster. He said that deere rates their unload speed on average rate from totally full to totally empty. Case on the other hand rates on maximum unload rate (full hopper) I told him that that was BS and that there is no reason for them to be inferior on something like this. His answer was that the 30 series are much better (they are) but that they are NOT faster than the deere even though they are rated faster. I believe he said that you can change a sprocket on the class 7 and 8 so that the unload rate is the same as a 9230.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I believe gleaner have the fastest unloading rates the gleaner is the average rate as others noted case rate on peak unloading rate I believe nh use average hence the yellow versions unload slower. The gleaner average rate is 4.5 bu per sec because of the strait trough design no turret auger

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.