The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last month or so, the moisture sensor unit hasn't been functioning properly on our 7230. The sensor reads well enough but the little auger isn't turning so once it fills up with grain that's the reading you get until you clean it out. Any ideas on how to debug why it's not turning? I'm thinking I can probably just unhook the motor plugs and feed it 12v to see if it turns.

Is this unit supposed to run continuously or does it fill up, measure, then empty? If the motor is good when I power it externally, but its still not working in the combine, then what do I look at?

any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
751 Posts
It has a light sensor inside that switches the auger on when it is 3/4 full. The light sensor has a light outside and an adjustment screw to set the density . It also runs for 10 seconds when you disengage the separator. I had to replace the little black box that runs it on a 2388 ,all components were good but would only empty when you switched it off

·
Registered
638 Posts
i think you have the right idea test the motor with 12 volts see if it turns, if it does then you need to trace power back to see if it is getting power. I know i had one where the motor seized up and did exactly what you are talking about.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good ideas! Yes fuse will be the first thing I check when I get back to it next week. Thanks for point out where it is; I would have thought it was in the fuse block with all the other fuses! If not the fuse then I'll be checking the motor and go from here. Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
The sensor is a proximity sensor. If you remove the moisture sensor bar, you can stick your finger up to the prox sensor and watch the light change color, as well as wipe off the face of the sensor. If not sensitive enough it won't run, and if set to sensitive will run all the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.