The Combine Forum banner

7230 straw chopper sharf broken

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Case 9120 
#1 ·
Within two season we had two chopper shaft broke just on left side big pulley where two speed chopper drive is. Pulley came of drop down top battery box where positive cable battery box it started a fire burn most wire loom above it hydro hose .Has anyone had issue in this area its only done approx 300 rotor hours since last shaft installed not happy.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
That drive shaft is the weakest part of the entire combine design. There's so much distance between the bearings and the pulleys that any amount of tension deflects that shaft at least some. Is the tension on the belt on the right hand side of the combine set right? Don't forget to grease the inner shaft bearing on the right hand side. A lot of people miss it.

Note the the shaft that's breaking is going through the chopper. So the chopper can be running smooth as silk with its large outer bearings, but the inner shaft could be flexing.

One solution is to put a Redekop MAV chopper on it. That eliminates the need for the double shaft as the beater itself now transmits the power through the larger bearings.

Definitely have heard of that shaft breaking before. It's not just you. how much did they charge for that shaft? I bet you could get one made up by a good machine ship. It's not the easiest job to change that shaft, but not too hard either. Especially as you don't need to mess with the big bearings to do it. I've been into all the bearings on the right hand side once, and I've done the left hand side several times. Once to replace the main bearing, and twice to replace the pulley when the stupid teeth sheered off on the shifter thing. Last time I think it took about 3 hours to do the left hand side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.