The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a hot setup that works well for wheat only? Bought this 7230 new last year, would like to improve it. What are you using for concaves, rasp bars, and so on, that improves performance. I've been reading on here about the airflow kit on older flagship models, and was wondering if that would be the same on the 30 series. We have high yielding irrigated wheat, about 120-150 bu. I think that this combine can perform better than it does.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
The airflow kit can help with finding good sieve settings, but it is certainly not required. There is plenty of volume coming off that cross-flow fan, even with the gaps. I think you'll find that the rethresher in wheat like that does absolutely nothing, so you should strive to eliminate tailings load entirely. The way the combine clinic recommended, and it works well for us, is to close down the top sieve and open the bottom sieve. Then reduce the fan somewhat. That way you're cleaning with air instead of using the sieve as a mechanical screen. Once grain gets into the rethresher, it just circulates through the top sieve until it either finally goes in the tank, or blows out the back. I'm not sure what crops the rethresher actually works in, but it doesn't really do much for any of my crops. Besides that, if you have unthreashed heads and such, that's a rotor problem anyway.

I'm not sure what you mean by "performance." Our yields aren't nearly as high up here (80-100), but the 7230 seems to perform as good as any other similar combine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Torriem. I guess my frustration with this machine was due mostly because we really didn't have much time to spend setting it up properly. We had a lot of rain, so when it got dry enough between storms we pushed it hard. Combine that with the extraordinarily heavy wheat we had this year (some 180 bu), plus tough straw, and a combine that was new to me, (came from a 9760). I had a hard time with the balance between unthrashed heads and overloading the selves. I had more loss than I did with the 9760, but that was probably due to going too fast more than anything. We really were playing beat the clock with this crop. I have read about several different companies making different concaves for this machine, and wondered if that would help with the over/under thrashing that I am getting. More of a specialty concave rather than one that is made for all crops. If I need to change it, I want to do it while the machine is new rather than waiting till we get ready to trade it again.

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
I have never cut a crop anything like. Never used aftermarket stuff in a 7230. I have ran 9770 2 years ago and 7230 last year. They setup very differently for me. I preferred the 7230. Had cleaner sample and less out the back. I spent hours trying to get blocker plates adjusted on the 9770 to even out sieve load and help with tailing plugging. The 7230 was simple to setup in comparison, even with the harder thrashing conditions. The 9770 had perfect thrashing conditions and we were rained on up to 3 times per day with the 7230.
Going by memory hear and I don't trust my memory, this was for a 30bu crop. 45ft header and ran to keep about 90% engine load, sometimes more if I was pushing it for rain. Ok, often more.
I found the settings I used in wheat from an old post .

Here are the settings I used on a 7230 in wheat. Seemed to work well in any variety I tried.

presieve 3rd notch
chaffer 14-15
lower sieve 10-12
fan 850
rotor clearance 7-8
rotor speed 1100-1150
spreader 650rpm

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
When we first bought the new series combine, we had a really hard time setting it. But then we decided to always start with the built-in presets in AFS (which do get updated with firmware updates from time to time). We started having much better luck when we used AFS as a starting point.

This is also a good resource: Crop Settings | Case IH Harvesting

Also if you find your are getting high tailings loads, try just swapping the top and bottom sieve settings. Going on lanwickum's settings, if you made your chaffer 10 and your lower seive 14. If losses are higher, drop the wind speed a little bit. Even at 10, it's more than wide enough for grain to fall through. Just a matter of balancing the air with the weight of the grain kernels. Closing the bottom sieve only makes it harder to get the air right.

Seems like no matter the brand, things do change year to year for whatever reason. What worked great last year might require tweaking this coming year. The pace of harvest often means that we don't have time to really optimize perfectly, unfortunately.

Some years whitecaps are a huge problem--not so much for us the last couple of years, however. All rotaries have this problem, and conventionals too, but walker combines throw them over the back straight away. We tried a set of Sunnybrook concaves that are quite aggressive with angled bars. They helped some, though they are so much heavier than other concaves so it makes changing them a real chore (each half module weighs as much as an entire stock module).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks Torriem. I guess my frustration with this machine was due mostly because we really didn't have much time to spend setting it up properly. We had a lot of rain, so when it got dry enough between storms we pushed it hard. Combine that with the extraordinarily heavy wheat we had this year (some 180 bu), plus tough straw, and a combine that was new to me, (came from a 9760). I had a hard time with the balance between unthrashed heads and overloading the selves. I had more loss than I did with the 9760, but that was probably due to going too fast more than anything. We really were playing beat the clock with this crop. I have read about several different companies making different concaves for this machine, and wondered if that would help with the over/under thrashing that I am getting. More of a specialty concave rather than one that is made for all crops. If I need to change it, I want to do it while the machine is new rather than waiting till we get ready to trade it again.
Torriem is right about needing to eliminate tailings.... installing cover plates under the front modules is an absolute must in hard threshing wheat. They stop unthreshed heads falling through to the sieves so soon as well as creating a bed of grain to thresh grain out of the glumes better.

I'd have thought they are the first, and probably the easiest and most effective thing you can do on a single rotor to get it to hum in wheat.

The other thing to be aware of in the 20 and 30 series is they tend to deliver more grain to the right hand side of sieves, so module pinch point and sieve levelling needs to be set with this in mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.