The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need alittle help setting my 7230 . I had the machine set up according to the shelborne recommendations. It did fine in small grained hard wheat but had severe loss in the soft wheat. I changes the small wire on the left side for a large wire in the second position to dump more on the left side of the shakerpan. It helped some but in high yielding wheat i still had excessive losses. I had no problem with loss with my draper. I've been spraying to kill the stand of wheat in my dc beans. what combination are you running in 100 bu soft wheat with this machine.

·
Super Moderator
4,676 Posts
How much higher ground speed with the SR?
How wide is your draper?
Just wondering what % higher grain flow you're looking at.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a 32 ft cvs. I cut from 6 to 9 mph depending on how dry the straw was. It didn't make any difference in loss if I slowed down to 2mph.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Loses over rotor or sieve loss? The soft wheat is very easy thrashing stuff? If you have lots of rotor loss, I'd say you need large wire in all 4 front slots, large skip or slotted in back 4.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
I need alittle help setting my 7230 . I had the machine set up according to the shelborne recommendations. It did fine in small grained hard wheat but had severe loss in the soft wheat. I changes the small wire on the left side for a large wire in the second position to dump more on the left side of the shakerpan. It helped some but in high yielding wheat i still had excessive losses. I had no problem with loss with my draper. I've been spraying to kill the stand of wheat in my dc beans. what combination are you running in 100 bu soft wheat with this machine.
First thing, I have no experience with strippers - yeah both types for the comedians on this forum :)
If NA soft wheat gives the same problems as soft wheat in OZ, I'd suggest you're not thrashing it properly & getting a lot of white-heads etc. that is more than likely to cause rotor & sieve loss.
Have you put a tray(s) down to define the place & quantity?
Done a stall test to see where the problem(s) start?
Does it have some small grain in the head that is hard to thrash or just light & going out the back?
Just make sure your sieves are exactly the same gap from side to side - both top & bottom. They can get out of sync as the linkage & locking bolts can slip & cause you grief. Re-zero the sieves so you know 6mm (1/4") on the screen is exactly the same in the sieves.
From my experience, opening the pre-sieve too wide will be the start of many problems. A good starting guide I use with the pre-sieve is no wider than seed size.
For wheat, top sieve about 13mm & bottom about 6-7mm. Don't rely on the screen numbers, you need to check & measure with a gauge.
As stated, soft wheat in OZ can be the one that causes you grief & it is often started from difficult thrashing. I have found you need to eat more straw with soft wheat to get a better "straw-on-straw" thrashing but your not able to do that with a stripper so you may have to use rotor speed & concaves to achieve the fix - if that is the initial problem.

·
Super Moderator
4,676 Posts
:)
First thing, I have no experience with strippers - yeah both types for the comedians on this forum :)
Ye of little faith!;)

I will only comment on concave clearance, simply set it as tight as it will go.
You are only dealing with a fraction of the material so it will thresh a bit cleaner while taking little additional power.:)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Give hoxie implement a call. They sell a lot of case combines and stripper heads. I seem to recall them saying to put some straight separator bars in the threshing area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts