The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something is wierd with my moisture sensor on my new 740.

I have always felt the Quantimeter system leaves much to be desired in moisture logging in corn. It simply cycles so slowly!!!

It works perfect in beans. It would stay right on and not jump around more 2-3 tenths off what I know is accurate.

In corn sometimes it starts a pass and reads WAY low for 30-45 secs or several hundred yards... Like 8% or something. Then it jumps up to maybe 3-5 pts low and then 5-10 pts high and then settles in close to accurate.

It's either a problem with how it's taking a sample or in the software.

The field average is pretty close but my relative pass to pass data is worthless as the moisture is off so far it can swing the yield 30-40 bpa.

I have replaced the moisture sensor already and dealer is checking with Claas but I thought I would see if others are having issues and or a fix.

There is really no adjustment to make on the actual sampler on the clean grain elevator is there?

In the past I have had issues with the sampler sticking open and a bungee cord cured that. But every time I check its closed...

Been having to run manual moisture and shouldn't have to do this.

I really wish you could get a COMPLETE Ag leader kit on these 700 machines!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did it from the start. Did remove moister system and hydraulic clean grain elevator tensioner , and added Agleader moisture tester and Agleader impact plate at top of elevator. The combine we demoed had just the cebus with Agleader monitor and had the same delayed effect.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
An improved (free) software update sounds like an easier fix than a complete different system install.

Bleedred, didn't your old 740 have this same issue?

I noticed Raven came out with a laser y.m. Thoughts...? I still feel the impact plate is more accurate considering the bushel is traded by weight instead of volume.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I have always felt the moisture part of the Quantimeter was lacking. The yield portion is not as good but can be kept pretty accurate with more baby sitting I would say.

I teetered on the edge about swapping to a full blown Ag Leader system from the get go but didn't like the idea of removing the hydraulic clean grain tensioner and having zero value in the Claas parts removed.

I have complained about this with my dealer and they know its a problem. But it's either not a problem for all of them or some people just don't seem to care as much as I do because their is only a handful of people that my dealer fights this issue with.

I think Claas needs to make something right on this or take back their system and let me buy one that works.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
The raven system, I simply saw as an ad in a farm magazine iirc.
I agree about the babysitting to keep yield in order.
I was thinking the moisture takes samples based on the volume going through;high volume = frequent samples.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Correct... It is based on volume.

However it seems like there is a long delay at the start of every pass which throws it off.

There also seems to be some funky averaging going on as it has an even longer ramp up time imo.

And it seems to me that it takes readings when the sensor is not covered by grain resulting in vary wide swings in readings... Like 10pts + at times!

Ag leader uses a proximity switch to cycle their sensor.

Even just using the load ave moisture until the system takes a fresh sample once it detects crop flow would be a huge improvement. This 30-45 secs of logging moisture that's off by 5-15 pts is absurd!

·
Registered
264 Posts
That's why I've been holding off putting in a ag leader system in my 760. I was holding on for precisions yield monitor because I already have the 20/20 monitor and I pad. But sounds like they're 1 or 2 years away for claas systems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.