The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We don't grow barley but we will be combining a bit of barley for our neighbor and I'm kind of wondering how fast I should target travelling. I expect the crop to make about 120 bushels per acre. It will be picking up a 52 foot swath.

Based on an expected combine capacity of 2200 bushel per hour in barley I'm comming up with 2.9 mph. Does 2200 bu/hr seem like a good bu/hr target for barley. Or should I set the feader depth to 120 and let cruise pilot figure it out?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
A lot depends on the crop and how much MOG there is. 2200bu/hour would be close to the upper end of capacity for us before losses get too much or the pickup has to run too fast for the ground speed. We have never combined a 52' swath so it's hard to say

·
Registered
76 Posts
We don't grow barley but we will be combining a bit of barley for our neighbor and I'm kind of wondering how fast I should target travelling. I expect the crop to make about 120 bushels per acre. It will be picking up a 52 foot swath.

Based on an expected combine capacity of 2200 bushel per hour in barley I'm comming up with 2.9 mph. Does 2200 bu/hr seem like a good bu/hr target for barley. Or should I set the feader depth to 120 and let cruise pilot figure it out?
Just finished 105 bu barley with 740. Did that 1800-2000 bu/hr all day. Very little out back. 4.2 mph on 35’. Wide body will not have a problem doing it. 2.9 will be right. Rotor loss showed up first because straw was a bit tough.

·
Registered
544 Posts
As was mentioned it will really depend how much straw is there. Here I would be throwing out 5 bushels an acre to get 2200 bushels/hr.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Good point Twix. It also depends on the bushel weight. If you have light kernels and lots of straw it can be hard to seperate. That is what we found in our durum wheat this year with the very light kernels and lots of straw.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just finished 105 bu barley with 740. Did that 1800-2000 bu/hr all day. Very little out back. 4.2 mph on 35’. Wide body will not have a problem doing it. 2.9 will be right. Rotor loss showed up first because straw was a bit tough.
So what settings were you using and what sensitivity did you have the grain loss monitor set to? I would sure like to get that type of capacity all day long. Would really put a smile on my face after the snails pace in peas.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cylinder speed 900, rotors 850, 10-11 mm concave gap. 16-17 top sieve, 9-10 bottom seive. Smooth grates. Monitors at 65 sensitivity. Playing with rotor speeds didn't seem to change anything.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Cylinder speed 900, rotors 850, 10-11 mm concave gap. 16-17 top sieve, 9-10 bottom seive. Smooth grates. Monitors at 65 sensitivity. Playing with rotor speeds didn't seem to change anything.
Thanks for sharing your settings. I am threshing malt barley and had to go down to 600 on my cylinder. Was getting to many cracks and peeled and broken in my malt barley when I sped things up. The slower speeds are probably reducing my combines capacity somewhat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Did the slow cylinder speed solve the cracking issue? I’ve run from 850 cyl / 12cc to 650cyl / 18cc and still way too much cracking. Doesn’t really seem to make a difference really. The slow settings are much harder on the combine from what it sounds like, and this is in extremely heavy tough straw. Dis-awning open, smooth grates, filler plate and ITS bars removed. Can not figure the cracking out, salesman was stumped too.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Same here as soon as the grain moisture gets under 14.5 we start cracking. we were down to 620 cylinder speed and that seemed to be the most gentle.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Cracking plus peeled and broken running about 3%.

I ended up taking the smooth Aps grates out and putting the 10mm keystock. Ran with deawning plates closed. Concave 12mm. Cylinder 650 in heat of day and 750-830 in morning and evening. Straw was dry for the most part.

Trucker has to be watching each load for cracks and relaying info back to combine driver. Changes fast in the morning as the dew fully dries off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts